• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Trump is a criminal/felon no matter how you look at it
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post

Right, so then there's no problem with the hundreds of thousands of legal Haitian immigrants getting harassed and threatened. Because clearly Vance must have not been talking about them, and will surely quickly make the record straight and also urge would-be harassers to please make sure that it's not legal immigrants they're harassing.
      What part of my post suggests that "Right, so then there's no problem with the hundreds of thousands of legal Haitian immigrants getting harassed and threatened." I generally am opposed to harassments and threats.

If Vance was talking about illegal immigrants then calling them stealthy vacationers, DIY border checkpointers, undocumented residents, or whatevers is only going to confuse people not calm them down. I was taking issue with you apparently complaining about him calling them "illegal immigrants" like that's part of the problem. It's not. If you should concede that point, why would we predict that the other problems you were concerned about would go away? It should go without saying that if a term like "illegal immigrants" is to be used it needs to be applied accurately. So please don't suggest that I was trying to say that calling them "illegal immigrants" somehow defuses everything else.

And meanwhile, the Republican VP candidate washes his hands from any responsibility while simultaneously calling the Haitians illegal immigrants.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
        honestly don't think calling people who are resident illegally in a country "illegal immigrants" is an inflammatory problem. "undocumented immigrants" is certainly not going to look like anything other than a ridiculous euphemism. the defining trait is not whether they have a state driver's license a library card, credit card arrest records or any of a mountain of documentation that may exist. the defining trait is legal residence. people being "illegal" is no more inflammatory than being a labeled as a trespasser or a jaywalker or ex-convict what ever other title our actions might earn for us.
        My understanding is the Haitians in Springfield came here legally and Trump/Vance call the "illegal" anyway.

Comment

Trump and Vance think that anybody that doesn't look like them is an illegal alien.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post

My understanding is the Haitians in Springfield came here legally and Trump/Vance call the "illegal" anyway.
            Is this because the pet eating incident was about a legal migrant making it simultaneously obvious that the Trump campaign were talking about legal migrants as being a kind of problem in a speech about illegal immigration? If so I agree that the mistake is much worse than the alleged crime. I haven't really looked into it and I'm not sure I want to so I'll drop it and re-iterate that it's dumb for a presidential campaign to focus on consumption of pets by illegal migrants and that there's nothing wrong about legal migration and that the US would benefit enormously from a lot more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              Trump and Vance think that anybody that doesn't look like them is an illegal alien.
              wow, when did they say that?

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes actions speak lowder than words.

Said it? They aren't that stupid. But they sure act like it. And actions count more than words
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

The only immigrants Trump and Vance approve of are the ones who are willing to have sex with them.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Keep on Civin'

Comment

Is this because the pet eating incident was about a legal migrant making it simultaneously obvious that the Trump campaign were talking about legal migrants as being a kind of problem in a speech about illegal immigration? If so I agree that the mistake is much worse than the alleged crime. I haven't really looked into it and I'm not sure I want to so I'll drop it and re-iterate that it's dumb for a presidential campaign to focus on consumption of pets by illegal migrants and that there's nothing wrong about legal migration and that the US would benefit enormously from a lot more of it.

At this point, I'm not sure if you're being willingly obtuse or you honestly believe that the Republican candidates must surely mean things in the most righteous and lawful way possible, and neither of the options is frankly very appealing.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

At this point, I'm not sure if you're being willingly obtuse or you honestly believe that the Republican candidates must surely mean things in the most righteous and lawful way possible, and neither of the options is frankly very appealing.
                      thanks for this. I think it's very simple. You can't be illegal unless you broke the law. whether or not Vance agrees with the TPS program or not, unless the migrants originally entered the country illegally or have overstayed their VISA he has no right to consider them illegal immigrants. I couldn't find whether or not any of the migrants ever entered the country illegally so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt over Vance unless I learn otherwise. Quite probably it's a mixed bag with some who arrived illegally and later the Biden administration granted TPS in a way that Trump and his base could take issue with but that doesn't give a pass to painting the whole community with that brush.

Comment

Vance even admitted he made the story up so that the media would cover up
                        And one of the women that posted a story admitted she lied.
                        And as stated, most of the Haitians are here legally.
                        GO REPUBLICANS
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

I think people are somehow missing what, to me, is the very obvious main point here.

Look at the media coverage of politics. Nearly every story is about Trump and Vance. By my informal count over the last week, an average of 7 or 8 of the top 10 daily, vs. 1 or 2 for Harris/Walz. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THESE ARE NEGATIVE STORIES. Even if it's debunking more lies, legal issues, polls, or even anti-Trump articles -- all the coverage is about Trump.

This is very much like 2016. Trump dominates the media. The media is his oxygen.

The Dems need to get it together and promote Kamala, her policies, and plans to help people -- to make some damn news -- or they're going to blow this gift-wrapped election.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

thanks for this. I think it's very simple. You can't be illegal unless you broke the law. whether or not Vance agrees with the TPS program or not, unless the migrants originally entered the country illegally or have overstayed their VISA he has no right to consider them illegal immigrants. I couldn't find whether or not any of the migrants ever entered the country illegally so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt over Vance unless I learn otherwise. Quite probably it's a mixed bag with some who arrived illegally and later the Biden administration granted TPS in a way that Trump and his base could take issue with but that doesn't give a pass to painting the whole community with that brush.
                            Probably a good bet that many who are granted TPS status originally entered illegally, but Haitians have had TPS status since the 2010 earthquake and it's been continually reauthorized since then. (Trump even reauthorized it once, before trying to end the program but getting held up in courts long enough for Biden to take over and keep it going.) But more importantly, only about 1/7 Haitian immigrants in the US are covered by TPS. The vast majority of the rest are naturalized citizens or green card holders.

The United States is the world’s top destination for Haitian migrants, who in recent years have fled an array of disasters and crises. Compared to other immigrant groups in the United States, the nearly 731,000 Haitians are more likely to be naturalized citizens, arrive through family-based pathways, and work in the service industry, as this data-rich article details.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Again, missing the point. Here you are, talking about JD Vance's lies, which blame Kamala Harris for immigration policy she had nothing to do with creating. Talking about it promotes the Trump dogwhistle on his plans for mass deportations - red meat for the base - without saying the words.

This is why Trump likes JD -- he's the attack dog who doesn't care about being hated, as long as he's driving the conversation away from actual substantive policy discussion while blaming Harris in the process.

Haitian immigration had no relevance to the election before Vance's lies, and that has not changed. Yet that's what you're discussing. Not unlike the demonizing of Somalis in Mnpls/StPaul in 2020.

Focus!
                              Last edited by -Jrabbit; September 19, 2024, 19:06.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X