Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
    Well in that spirit...

Dude! BLM protestors burned buildings and cars...injured, threatened, and killed people and half of American called it "mostly peaceful protests"! The lines most definitely got blurred after last summer!
    Plato, you should be better than your cheap, reflexive whataboutism. That's for losers and trolls who don't believe in personal responsibility.

-I suspect you know that I wouldn't waste time calling you on it if I didn't respect you.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• I just think I will share this here

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buster Crabbe's Uncle View Post
        Plato, you should be better than your cheap, reflexive whataboutism. That's for losers and trolls who don't believe in personal responsibility.

-I suspect you know that I wouldn't waste time calling you on it if I didn't respect you.
        But it was such a perfect opportunity......

Seriously though. I do believe that the lines between what is acceptable and not acceptable in a protest have been blurred by society. I am totally astounded by the level of violence that has become the norm.

N35t0r, I could not agree more that what anti-abortion protestors have done for decades is abhorrent. I blame them, in large part, for starting the degradation of how protests should actually be handled.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          I just think I will share this here

JM
          Jon, this needs a subscription. Could you summarize?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• It is an opinion piece about the recent abortion related debates. There were a lot of headlines about a Berkeley Professor shutting down one of the GOP senators. McArdle (an establishment right-wing opinion writer) points out that outside of the progressive elite bubble, it wasn't so clearly a successful response by Bridges.

Then, when it was his turn to speak, Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) returned to this exchange, saying, “You’ve referred to people with a capacity for pregnancy. Would that be ... women?”

In even tones, Bridges replied that while many cisgender women have the capacity for pregnancy, many don’t, while some trans men and nonbinary people do. But after a little back-and-forth, she gave up. “So, I want to recognize that your line of questioning is transphobic,” she said with an exasperated laugh, “and it opens up trans people to violence.”

Yet outside those circles, Bridges’s answers don’t really sound so convincing. In most of America, “Does a late-term fetus have value?” is a softball. And when Hawley leaped in to ask whether women are the ones who give birth — a question few Americans today would struggle with — she resorted to extended question-begging. That might be fine for a Berkeley classroom. But it just won’t do for a political debate in which the majority of voters disagree with you.

Basically the concern is that the liberal media/academic elites are in their own bubble just like the reactionary media/political elites. It is better than the reactionaries because the liberal politicians are not yet captured. But it is still cause for concern.

And I don't even think that Bridges was clearly wrong. I think it is just that the media/academic elite assume that society has decided the discussion in their favor and yet the discussion, even among liberals, about a lot of these things (especially language/thought) is still open.

As a liberal, even one with progressive tendencies, the existence of such a bubble or disconnect is very concerning (and a bit uncomfortable).

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Berzerker
              Berzerker commented
              Editing a comment
              the problem with her answer was the people she identified as capable of giving birth were born female

• Originally posted by Buster Crabbe's Uncle View Post

what did Jesus say to the Pharisees who wanted to stone the adulteress?

whataboutyou

Comment

• Losers and trolls who don't believe in personal responsibility. A real Libertarian should be ashamed to speak in reactionary tongues.

Fight me, Berz.

No pasarán

Comment

• Something is wrong.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Something is wrong.

JM
                  At least the founding fathers are happy
                  "

Comment

Something is wrong.

JM
                    If only medical professionals hadn't warned us about this.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• This is just further evidence that Congress needs to get off its duff and act. It is not the fault of the SCOTUS that they upheld the Constitution. It is the fault of the legislature not acting in their Constitutionally empowered way.

Comment

• The Republicans, I've heard it said, are the mass shooters. The Democrats are the Uvalde cops.

I most certainly do not repeat the metaphor to be favoring the latter.

No pasarán

Comment

• The sad truth is that it is really the fault of the people. Ultimately, they control the people in Congress. People are slow to react to things...which can be either good or bad depending on what they are reacting to. However, having someone bleeding out due to denied care should (SHOULD!) get everyone's attention.

It is an indictment on the people themselves for letting something like this happen. Americans are quick to demand democratic control but idiots in how to use that control. It has been said that in a democracy people get the government they deserve...maybe the entirely (Both Sides!) disfunctional lot we have is exactly what we deserve. Sigh...People in this country seriously need Civics lessons.

Comment

• They really do.

No pasarán

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                              This is just further evidence that Congress needs to get off its duff and act. It is not the fault of the SCOTUS that they upheld the Constitution. It is the fault of the legislature not acting in their Constitutionally empowered way.
                              I don't know why you keep repeating this when Congress hasn't been able to pass a positive piece of legislation since the ACA. And you know perfectly well that they aren't going to be able to pass anything this term or next. The members of the Supreme court do not live in a vacuum and they are perfectly aware of the consequences of their rulings, and now their rulings are harming people. They have the responsibility and blame for every women that suffers or dies from this ruling.

The sad truth is that it is really the fault of the people. Ultimately, they control the people in Congress. People are slow to react to things...which can be either good or bad depending on what they are reacting to. However, having someone bleeding out due to denied care should (SHOULD!) get everyone's attention.

It is an indictment on the people themselves for letting something like this happen. Americans are quick to demand democratic control but idiots in how to use that control. It has been said that in a democracy people get the government they deserve...maybe the entirely (Both Sides!) dysfunctional lot we have is exactly what we deserve. Sigh...People in this country seriously need Civics lessons.
                              The sad truth is is that you have a narrow and unbendable view of government and don't give a damn about the people. The people are overwhelmingly in support of Roe but their votes don't matter because of the shortsighted way our illustrious founders wrote the constitution. Small states are overrepresented. State legislatures gerrymander their congressional districts to make them as least democratic as possible. It's way to difficult to amend the constition. ETc. Etc. Etc. But you want to blame the PEOPLE. The system was broken from the beginning.

The reality is is that the Supreme Court has the power on these issues. They deserve the blame. So stop spitting out your inane platitudes and ****ing wake up.
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X