• Show
Clear All

S&P 500

2021 +26.9%
    2020 +16.3%
    2019 +28.9%
    2018 -6.2%
    2017 +19.4%

That is an average of 17.1% gain in the previous 5 years. The average S&P annual gain is 10%. Our 17.1% is because of unsustainable policies and not because the economy has changed.

We would need a correction of -20% or so to get us back to average.

Biden is partially responsible (the +26.9%) but Trump is primarily.

And in the middle to long run, unless we get into a sustained mess (which I don't think will happen with Biden, he listens to his experts unlike Trump) the 5 year average will stay good.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If the economy ends up down under Biden that would not be expected. Traditionally the economy has done better under Democratic presidents than Republican presidents.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Last edited by My Wife Hates CIV; July 5, 2022, 09:31.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
              "2021 was the hottest summer on record." really? anyway, not here.

so if biden is doing such a good job Jon, why are his polls so low? are the polls wrong? did trump do something to those polls?

why are more and more dems not willing to support biden for a 2024 run? what gives?
              Biden is too old. The previous oldest president was Reagan who left office at 77. Biden started at 78. The next oldest president was Trump who left office at 74. Going forward, we should not have presidents who get elected at ages over 70.

There are a lot of left leaning people who want a left wing master just like a lot of right leaning people want a right wing master. They are frustrated with Biden not writing off student loans, not expanding the Supreme Court, not ending the filibuster (and doing something? what? to convince Manchin to do Biden's will), and so on.

I agree that there are also independents who disapprove of Biden, but that is because they are still stuck in the former both sides paradigm or are too focused on their short term economic gain.

Also see

As another of my colleagues, Juliette Kayyem, wrote recently, the January 6 hearings offer an off-ramp to Trump-ambivalent Republicans. But not enough of them are taking it. Many Republican leaders have talked themselves into the position that the policy views of Democrats are so dangerous, or Trump’s policies are so good, that it is more important to support him than it is to defend the basic process of democracy.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Comment

Our current gas prices have nothing to do with how much oil is being pumped in the Middle East.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Last edited by My Wife Hates CIV; July 5, 2022, 09:30.

Comment

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...57/597/e9e.jpg Click image for larger version

Name:	e9e.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9440554
                      Trump had GOD on his side! All Hail Sauron!!
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

You don't like weathering a return to average and so will doom you and your kids in the future.

Real smart.

JM
                          Well...given that we disagree on some of the fundamentals, the best I can say is "Maybe...Maybe not"

Love ya Jon and respect your opinion...just disagree with many of them.

Which brings me to the word "Perspective". I try to see things through the lense that the Jan 6 committee is so carefully crafted, but I find it very narrow and focused on a predetermined outcome. I think that a true bi-partisan committee may have done better but that was not the Republican leaderships choice (and they may have been right). As it is, it is a very partisan look at events that can easily be viewed from a different perspective if you try. The same could be said for Trump's Presidency as well.

Still...I DO see the perspective that you are advocating and there are areas of concern. I just believe if you take a non-biased view of both sides that there is really not much here that is actionable and in many parts a lot of it has happened before.

The simple conclusion is that partisan politics divides and it has been many many years since we have seen this type of divide.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                            S&P 500

2021 +26.9%
                            2020 +16.3%
                            2019 +28.9%
                            2018 -6.2%
                            2017 +19.4%

That is an average of 17.1% gain in the previous 5 years. The average S&P annual gain is 10%. Our 17.1% is because of unsustainable policies and not because the economy has changed.

We would need a correction of -20% or so to get us back to average.

Biden is partially responsible (the +26.9%) but Trump is primarily.

And in the middle to long run, unless we get into a sustained mess (which I don't think will happen with Biden, he listens to his experts unlike Trump) the 5 year average will stay good.

JM
                            I fundamentally and totally disagree with your conclusions. The economy had been needlessly held back for years by over regulation and bloated government procedures. The gains you saw are primarily the unleashing of an artificially constrained economy. Trump's team actually had a very focused view on gaining productivity and sustainably growing the economy. The reinstitution of a draconian regulatory environment has more to do with what we are seeing in the market than inflation does by a large measure.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
                                ha! good one. still i bet the dems are all knocking each other down come jan 2023. they will all be blaming each other how they lost everything by spending so much time on Trump and not the issues. watch - it's coming!
                                Agreed. The public is tiring of watching the never ending soap opera of TDS. Even my left leaning friends are starting to realize that Trump may have had the mouth of a clown but had better economic sense than most Presidents we have had.

When you get lambasted over having an "America First" policy when you are the American President, it really isn't hard to see where the problem really is.

Comment

Working...
                                X