No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and basketball, and hockey. Any other sports to cancel in the US? I wonder if Trump will speak to this tonight?
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/trum...XfPRZ5aGMaMPTs

Trump International Hotel in Vancouver permanently closed. August 27, 2020. TA management files for bankruptcy.

2013 announcement of *new* Trump Tower Vancouver.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I love when newspapers make silly mistakes...

Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
          Uncle Sparky commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe he's wearing a mask. I watched The Shape of Water.

In the pic to the right he's clearly holding his breath....maybe he's not really amphibious...
        Blah

Comment

Link

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Governor Kristi Noam (R) has invited the SF salon owner that was falsely accused by Pelosi of setting her up to move to South Dakota where she can freely operate her business.

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              Showboating.

Should the Canada - US Border be reopened to non essential travel? (EKOS research poll)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
              Should the Canada - US Border be reopened to non essential travel? (EKOS research poll)

The much longer question asked in the US confused many people and they didn't answer what they really believed.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

An entire village lost its broadband at the same time every day for 18 months.
                Now we know why.
                Unsurprisingly, this story originates in Wales.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/22/uk/ol...gbr/index.html
                Last edited by -Jrabbit; September 23, 2020, 11:49.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am guessing it was a really old TV with vacuum tube display.

• -Jrabbit
                  -Jrabbit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Almost certainly, though the article only identifies as an "old TV" and says the owner was "mortified." But I did learn a new acronym in the process:
                  SHINE, or Single High-level Impulse Noise Emission, in which an appliance emits electrical interference that impacts broadband connectivity, typically when being powered up.

Happy Reunification Day Germany!

You have one of the most stable democracies on earth!

Comment

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                    ... and basketball, and hockey. Any other sports to cancel in the US? I wonder if Trump will speak to this tonight?
                    No need to cancel anything. Their ratings are collapsing anyway. It turns out people just want a bit of escapism, to tune out and enjoy the game, so bombarding then with divisive and untrue political propaganda makes them turn the tv off.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                      Uncle Sparky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      NHL Hockey seemed to work. But that was in Canada. The 'bubbles' weren't breached, no-one played silly buggers about the need for social distancing and isolation, it just happened, Over a 3 month period, with over two dozen teams with their families (in some cases), operations staff, refs, reporters, hotel, restaurant, housekeeping and transportation staff, there were ZERO cases in the Edmonton bubble and ZERO in the Toronto bubble.

I really think it helped not to have ANY asshat politicians trying to score points through misinformation and derision.

Did Kid get banned, or did he scamper when Trump got covid?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Egbert
                      Egbert commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kidicious is still here PWNing *****.

In other news, perhaps the best way to help poor people is to give them money.
                    You've heard this refrain before -- giving money to homeless people is not the best way to help them because it might be squandered, or spent on harmful habits. But a new Canadian study makes a powerful case to the contrary.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

They should have had a group given the same money as wages for some productive endeavor. Or better yet split it into a job group vs a entrepreneurial group. Then another group which is given housing and food directly.

Of course giving money to people will help them in comparison to giving them nothing. In my experience results in descending order of effectiveness at general increase in community welfare:

Work for pay
                      Work for share of product
                      Work for share of profit
                      In kind for needs
                      Loan for business idea
                      Loan for needs
                      Gift

We have always given no interest loans. Usually just on their word to repay. Usually no schedule. Sometimes when they can't pay they move into the work category.

Work for share of product has mostly been traditional rice harvest shares. It works very well here as it's what they are used to, and rice is so important. It may not work as well in other places or woth other product.

Loan for business can sometimes work very well, most of the time it crashes and burns.

Comment

Working...
                      X