China Watch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan President Urges China to Pursue Dialogue, Not Conflict

Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen opened 2021 by reaffirming her willingness to talk with China, while vowing to stand up to mounting military pressure from Beijing.

Tsai used a brief News Year’s Day address Friday to criticize the near-daily patrols of Chinese military ships and aircraft that have stretched Taiwan’s more limited military resources. She warned that the actions had “threatened the peace and stability of the Indo-Pacific region,” while calling on Beijing to restore communication channels it cut off after her election in 2016.

“We are willing to jointly promote meaningful dialogue,” Tsai said, so long as Beijing is willing to “defuse antagonism and improve cross-strait relations, in line with the principles of reciprocity and dignity.”

The Taiwanese president has sought to position her democratically elected government as a bulwark against increasing Chinese influence in the region. Beijing considers Taiwan as part of its territory, despite having never controlled it, and has sought to raise the pressure on Tsai by luring away diplomatic partners and expanding military patrols around the island.

Taiwan has raised its international profile over the past year through its handling of the coronavirus pandemic, with only seven confirmed Covid-19 deaths among its population of 23 million. In 2020, Taiwan was a rare success story, underpinning a booming stock market and one of the strongest performances among developed economies.

“We have shown again and again that ‘Taiwan can help,’” Tsai said. “As a force for good in the world, we will continue to be an indispensable member of the international community, both now and into the future.”

Beijing has so far refused to hold any talks with Tsai unless she accepts that both sides belong to “one China.” That was the position accepted by Tsai’s predecessor, Ma Ying-jeou, who saw ties flourish with Beijing, including an unprecedented meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in 2015.

Zhu Fenglian, a spokeswoman for China’s Taiwan Affairs Office, told a briefing Wednesday in Beijing that relations between the two sides were “complicated and grim” in 2020, citing “separatist forces” in Taipei and changes in the international landscape. But Zhu struck a more conciliatory tone for the coming year, saying China pledged to “proactively promote peaceful development and integration.”

Tsai is seeking to build on the momentum of last year, when she won a second term and U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration continued to improve ties with Taipei. Taiwan is awaiting signs of whether President-elect Joe Biden will continue that support after he takes office on Jan. 20.

The Taiwanese president defended her decision to lift long-standing curbs on certain U.S. pork products, a move aimed at facilitating trade talks with Washington that prompted protests at home. The reaction “made me fully experience why the previous government made promises, but was unable to implement them,” Tsai said.

Comment

• Taiwan has until the weather clears in March and April. The US is pulling the last carrier away from Iran, the Nimitz ought to be in place by then.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Fifty-five Hong Kong dissidents were arrested last week.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Canada and UK are now prohibiting corporations from importing goods made in China by oppressed minorities there.

Comment

• Comment

• Former President Donald Trump once dismissed the possibility of U.S. intervention in case Beijing invades Taiwan, according to a new book.

“Taiwan is like two feet from China,” Trump was quoted as saying to an unnamed Republican senator in 2019, according to the book by Washington Post columnist Josh Rogin. “We are eight thousand miles away. If they invade, there isn’t a ****ing thing we can do about it.”

The book, “Chaos Under Heaven,” focuses on Trump’s dealings with China over his four years in the White House. It was released Tuesday and excerpted in the Daily Beast on Monday.

The book suggests that Trump was uninterested in assuring his allies in Taiwan that the U.S. would come to its defense should it come under attack, an attitude that contrasts with how the former president is perceived in the self-ruled island.

Comment

• I expect the communist Chinese to invade Taiwan by 2025.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Invasion is too old school. They'll more likely use a mixture of tools like econonomic pressure, picket line embargoes on air and sea routes, show of military force and incursions into territorial waters and airspace, cyberwarfare against governments, utilities and necessities, ground campaigns inciting violence and discontent, etc. Maybe then add in some Crimea type 'help' from unbranded personnel with weapons.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Many foreign affairs and national security experts believe the global pandemic has accelerated trends that were already pushing the U.S. and China toward a potential confrontation.

Honestly, I expect when China does invade Taiwan that they will quickly win. Taiwan isn't doing enough for its own military readiness (it has cut conscription from a year to just four months while not providing enough pay or incentives for an all volunteer force) while the US seems to be half assing things and not acting either serious or decisive. China studies American tactics and plans nonstop where as the US hasn't really tailored either its training or its planning specifically towards China.

Thus I expect the US to lose and lose fast. Especially as Biden seems more concerned with frivolous things (talking about how well the new female maternity uniforms look) instead of hard speeding decisions or priorities which actually might help defend Taiwan. We aren't just losing the war game scenarios but we are losing them at ever quicker rates. America's military readiness for a defensive war against Communist China is looking a lot like France 1939 right now.

Comment

• “Taiwan is like two feet from China,” Trump was quoted as saying to an unnamed Republican senator in 2019, according to the book by Washington Post columnist Josh Rogin. “We are eight thousand miles away. If they invade, there isn’t a ****ing thing we can do about it.”
                      IMO he's right (rare thing as it is ) - should it really come to that. It's the same as during the cold war - US could have taken Cuba at any point, while Sov could have taken West Berlin if they wanted. The only thing that kept each side back was the prospect of all-out (and possibly nuclear) war as result.

So question is - can China be deterred from going after Taiwan openly, and what can be done to counter hybrid warfare approaches Dauphin posted about.
                      Blah

Comment

• China warns US over ‘red line’ after American ambassador makes first Taiwan visit for 42 years

China has warned the US against crossing its “red line” after an American ambassador visited Taiwan at the weekend, making it the first such official visit in the last 42 years.

John Hennessey-Niland, the US ambassador to the pacific island nation of Palau, was part of the delegation that came with Palauan president Surangel Whipps for a five-day trip.

In 1979, the US severed ties with Taiwan in favour of Beijing. However, in the last few years amid growing tensions with China, the US has increased its activities with democratically-ruled Taipei, a move which has irked Beijing.

On Monday, China’s foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian, while replying to a query about the US ambassador’s visit, said: “I want to stress that the one China principle is a universally recognised norm for international relations and a common consensus recognised, accepted and practiced by the vast majority of countries in the world.”

He emphasised that the Taiwan question is the “most important and sensitive issue in China-US relations.”

“One China principle is the political foundation of China-US relations. China firmly opposes any form of official interactions between the US and Taiwan. This position is consistent and clear,” Mr Zhao said.

The spokesperson urged the US “to fully recognise that the Taiwan question is highly sensitive, and that it should abide by the one China principle and the three China-US joint communiques.

“It must stop any official interaction with Taiwan, refrain from sending any wrong signals to Taiwan independence forces, stop any attempt to cross the bottom line, and properly handle Taiwan-related issues with prudence, lest it should damage China-US relations as well as peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait,” Mr Zhao cautioned the US.

But Taiwan’s foreign ministry welcomed the visit of the US ambassador and, on Monday, tweeted: “What a triumvirate! Minister Wu, President Whipps & Ambassador Hennessey-Niland are as one when it comes to trilateral cooperation. #Taiwan, #Palau & the #US are forces for good working together in promoting peace, security & prosperity in the #IndoPacific & around the world.”

On Monday, 10 Chinese military aircraft – eight fighter jets and two surveillance aircraft - entered Taiwan’s air defence identification zone. On Friday, Beijing sent a similar sortie involving 20 aircraft. Over the past few months, Taiwan has repeatedly complained that China’s fighter aircraft have violated its air space.

China considers Taiwan its own territory and Taipei fears China could use force to bring it back under its control. However, despite Beijing's repeated warnings against Washington warming up to Taipei, the US has steadily increased its cooperation with Taiwan in recent years.

In 2020, the US approved the sale of weapons worth £3.69bn to Taiwan and last week Washington signed an agreement with Taipei to boost cooperation between their coast guards, a move to counter China.

Comment

• Wasn't Biden supposed to hand over all of the US to China shortly after inauguration anyway? Tho maybe broke Kid's campaign promise
                          Blah

Comment

• That's what Xi gets for buying off someone with severe mental illness.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                              Wasn't Biden supposed to hand over all of the US to China shortly after inauguration anyway? Tho maybe broke Kid's campaign promise
                              Biden has been exceptionally weak on China other than one made for TV talking session in Alaska which was not followed up by any action. It is telling that just days after the election Communist China decided to illegally occupy Mischief Reef, which is officially Phillipines territory, yet Biden has refused to take any meaningful action. Biden is as weak as weak can be and the communists know it.

Comment

• Reminds me of Obama's "red line in the sand" comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X