New server, take two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New server, take two

Apolyton's moved to a new server - and, after a series of Murphy's laws issues, stayed down for much of this week. Now it's back up again, and should be up for good. Once again please report issues and comment on performance here.

I'm sorry for the extended downtime!

Aside from the move, it's now also running the latest forum software, so report any issues pertaining to that as well.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

test
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

It lives!
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

What was dead lives once again!
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Thank you, Solver. Well done, sir!
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yes. Thanks, Solver! And now we can tweet each other's posts?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

«prev-next» ?
              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                Yes. Thanks, Solver! And now we can tweet each other's posts?
                Tweeting really doesn't fit well with this forum full of old people

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle
                «prev-next» ?
                Not a feature in vB5 as far as I can see.

Comment

Now people can share my wisdom on twitter and facebook. Excellent.

Comment

As to what actually happened here.

Almost a week ago, the move was complete, traffic started coming here and everything seemed great, but the site crashed about 5 hours later. I restarted when I woke up, and it crashed again within a few hours. When transferring Apolyton, I had happily put it on a fairly new, nearly unused drive. It turned out to be faulty, producing lots of data errors.

At that point I could have started transferring manually to another drive, but since I don't actually have much time, I asked the guys at the data center to clone the disk, which should have taken ~24 hours. Some 36 hours later I got word the clone was proceeding slower than expected, and another 30 hours later I was informed that the process was stuck entirely and the disk refused to cooperate. So I anyway had to move files to temporary storage, reupload to the replaced disk and otherwise get involved. In the end, a disk failure that should have been recovered in about 24 hours under favorable circumstances took around five days.

Comment

Thanks Solver
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                        Thanks Solver
                        Absolutely
                        Blah

Comment

One more thing. I'm trying to get rid of all ads on the site. If you see ads (I know most people never had any), please report where exactly.

Comment

Site does appear to be much faster now, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	queen.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	9382455

Here's a picture of my new kitty cat to see if that works.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Ads only seem to appear if you are not logged in. They appear at the top and bottom of the page.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X