No announcement yet.

Who's in debt to whom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an eventuality as far as I'm concerned. We might not get there for decades or centuries, but it's something we'll need to confront eventually.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I disagree. For every job that automation has replaced, new jobs have been created. All those farmers were replaced with fast food workers

Computers and automation has replaced many with programmers and all the associated fields. (better paying jobs than fast food workers)

I'll give you eventually, but not for a long long time.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This is where TMM posts the Humans Need Not Apply video. If you look at the new sectors of employment that have only existed since the 20th century, they make up a very small segment of the population. We are losing jobs already.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yet more people have jobs than ever before
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            I disagree. For every job that automation has replaced, new jobs have been created. All those farmers were replaced with fast food workers

Computers and automation has replaced many with programmers and all the associated fields. (better paying jobs than fast food workers)

The problem is, that those jobs require more skill / intelligence.
            Or to say it bluntly:
            In the past, if you lack intelligence and education, you could still become a construction worker or a farm hand.
            When all construction worker jobs that require muscle and no brain will be replaced by robots (and you will have only robot programmer jobs oin the construction sites), that means that those unskilled (/low intelligence and education) jobs will die out. Likewise with regards to jobs at farms
            A large part of society (those who lack the menal capacities to become educated) will eventually get left out in the rain.
            Last edited by Proteus_MST; January 16, 2018, 17:43.
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

maby analysis of dreamz can provide answers
              what is intelligence anyway btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

The problem is, that those jobs require more skill / intelligence.
                Or to say it bluntly:
                In the past, if you lack intelligence and education, you could still become a construction worker or a farm hand.
                When all construction worker jobs that require muscle and no brain will be replaced by robots (and you will have only robot programmer jobs oin the construction sites), that means that those unskilled (/low intelligence and education) jobs will die out. Likewise with regards to jobs at farms
                A large part of society (those who lack the menal capacities to become educated) will eventually get left out in the rain.
                The obvious answer is training. Trade work does not require a lot of education, just some specified training. And there is currently a shortage of them
                If someone has true mental the I have no issues with a safety net, but in my experience some of them are the ones that really want to contribute.

Not all farm work can be automated but I will agree that a good portion of it will be eventually.

RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that we will completely automate ourselves into obsolescence. There may be technical limits we just can’t get past, either due to physical constraints, or something inherent with advanced civilizations.

Its possible, perhaps even likely, that at some point technological advance becomes net destructive. If we assume that people will be left out once automated away, then it is likely they will try tear down the system. Put the two together and it seems almost certain that we can’t advance past a certain point technologically without also advancing on a social front. If tech that makes it easy to create weapons of mass destruction are achieved civilization can’t withstand mass unrest. It already succumbs quite often to it.

Also, humans are not simply doing things for some arbitrary ideological economic efficiency’s sake. A human painter may always have a market regardless of how well a machine can paint, simply due to being human. A human gardener may always have the same advantage. Already there are large and growing movements around the world where purchases are made as much or more based on who makes it or how a product is made, rather than any physical characteristics of the product/service.

Finally, if we assume we will turn over all jobs to machines/AIs, and that they can do them better, then it’s possible the AIs will just put us back to work in a better way than we could if there is a utility to work ethic.

Comment

I do believe more jobs are going to be automated then created over the next 30 years or so and that will create an employment crisis.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

As more boomers die off, more jobs could be available. Of course immigration regulations could impact other replacements.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It'd be better if boomers don't die, and put all their stolen wealth to economic job prosperity for the next generation who are servicing the expensive holidays, premium leisure sector and large medical bills/insurance industries.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          I do believe more jobs are going to be automated then created over the next 30 years or so and that will create an employment crisis.
                          Is that a quote from Ned Ludd?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            It'd be better if boomers don't die, and put all their stolen wealth to economic job prosperity for the next generation who are servicing the expensive holidays, premium leisure sector and large medical bills/insurance industries.
                            Hey, I've paid (include company contributions) 100's of thousands of dollars into Social security. Enough to pay for not just my SS benefits but also a handful of others. Although most of it probably went to paying benefits to many that never really contributed into the system. If anyone is stealing, it's the previous generation that got benefits without paying for it. And the next generation doesn't have to pay for me because I already did. So quit whining. I've also trained many obnoxious millennials so they will have good careers despite accusation from them similar to the crap you're spouting
                            Also paid a lot into Medicare. No one (except myself and my company) have ever had to pay for my healthcare. Most boomers have paid their way while supporting the generation before us. I guess you guys just don't want to pay your way.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Every time.

Comment

I looked at my recent NI contributions. I have 20 years of stamps now, and hundreds of thousands paid in. I've only been to an NHS doctor once in all that time, and never claimed any benefits. I may or may not get a pension by the time I retire .

Comment

Working...
                                X