Who's in debt to whom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    Uh, I'm clearly not advocating such a system. I'm pointing out that looking at this situation from a rights/duties perspective can be problematic.

And what about lazy people?

Yeah, what about me?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• For breaking the social compact, you will be cast out to live alone in the wilderness.

whoops, already happened.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
        For breaking the social compact, you will be cast out to live alone in the wilderness.
        Really?! Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner? That's what I've always wanted!
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Sounds like you know what you want to do for the rest of your life.....
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• The wilderness with internet access

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              The wilderness with internet access
              Internet, power, water,heating, a good kitchen and sanitary installations ... so much luxury has to be
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• exactly

Comment

• Comment

• From the same guy I quoted in the OP, a deep dive into whether technological unemployment is currently a thing.

[I am not an economist or an expert on this topic. This is my attempt to figure out what economists and experts think so I can understand the issue, and I’m writing it down to speed your goin…

The cliff notes:

Originally posted by SSC
                    Here are some tentative conclusions:

1. Technological unemployment is not happening right now, at least not at a rate above previous eras. The official statistics are confusing and sometimes seem to deny common sense, but they show no signs of increases in this phenomenon. (70% confidence)

2. On the other hand, there are signs of technological underemployment – robots taking middle-skill jobs and then pushing people into other jobs. Although some people will be “pushed” into higher-skill jobs, many will be pushed into lower-skill jobs. This seems to be what happened to the manufacturing industry recently. (70% confidence)

3. This sort of thing has been happening for centuries and in theory everyone should eventually adjust, but there are some signs that they aren’t. This may have as much to do with changes to the educational, political, and economic system as with the nature of robots per se. (60% confidence)

4. Economists are genuinely divided on how this is going to end up, and whether this will just be a temporary blip while people develop new skills, or the new normal. (~100% confidence)

5. Technology seems poised to disrupt lots of new industries very soon, and could replace humans entirely sometime within the next hundred years. (???)

This is a very depressing conclusion. If technology didn’t cause problems, that would be great. If technology made lots of people unemployed, that would be hard to miss, and the government might eventually be willing to subsidize something like a universal basic income. But we won’t get that. We’ll just get people being pushed into worse and worse jobs, in a way that does not inspire widespread sympathy or collective action. The prospect of educational, social, or political intervention remains murky.
                    Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Shirt collars are the worst. Leave my neck the **** alone.
                    Just want to reiterate that I stand by this statement. Shirt collars, clothing tags, turtle necks, neck ties--these are all abominations.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Keke View Post

yah but lets wait til the trial proprley begins

i guess the participants also are entitled to ca 200-400€ in housing benefits(?) in addition to the BI
                      Is that how it will work in Finland? I would have thought UBI would just be one lump sum.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• are there like computer models?

Comment

Working...
                        X