Rejected from B-School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected from B-School

I was rejected without interview from HBS, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia (no DaShi connection happening, I guess!). Had an interview at MIT Sloan, was rejected and recommended to apply to a 1-year program. Was rejected there. I hired a consultant who reviewed my previous applications. She is confused/surprised that I have been so unsuccessful. I even got featured on a Poets & Quants article about how people with great numbers don't get interviews at HBS. Vets helped me out but were also confused when I didn't get interviews. I have a 760 GMAT, 3.6 undergrad GPA, military experience, banking experience, etc.

No matter what it is, this cloud of it's just inexplicably harder for me keeps following me. All I can do is just keep trucking.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Sup Alby. Sorry about your lost.

AAHZ OTOH has gotton moar insane to the point that it caused a infinite loop that actually "cured" me. Read the New Years Resolutions thrade for moar.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

What do you want to do in B-school? What is your motivation?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        What do you want to do in B-school? What is your motivation?

JM
        I want to move into product management in the video game industry. As well as my full-time job and the military, I have a part-time gig as a writer and level designer for the new AoE games so I want to expand on that. I also know that the military is going to have increasing demand for tactical simulators so there is an untapped opportunity to tap into that need with VR and other immersive digital media. I need b-school to give credibility to this transition and jump-start my network. I saw how my military experience and access to the veteran community helped me shift gears one level, but access to the network and recruiters at a top b-school will enhance my opportunities.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So does that make C-School next?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

GOOD LUCK. Just keep trying other schools. Yeah, it's frustrating, but you will find a school that will meet your needs.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Maybe you can get a mail-order degree, Alby! You know, pay an online "school" like a few thousand bucks and they will mail you your new credentials!

I'm sure there are lots of websites out there that will help you and would also love to take your money.

It's win-win.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

I want to move into product management in the video game industry. As well as my full-time job and the military, I have a part-time gig as a writer and level designer for the new AoE games so I want to expand on that. I also know that the military is going to have increasing demand for tactical simulators so there is an untapped opportunity to tap into that need with VR and other immersive digital media. I need b-school to give credibility to this transition and jump-start my network. I saw how my military experience and access to the veteran community helped me shift gears one level, but access to the network and recruiters at a top b-school will enhance my opportunities.
                I am suspicious that that doesn't sound good to the big name B-schools. They want someone who will add to their network, not just use it.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I hear extra curricula activities get weighted pretty heavily even for grad school. Maybe try to work on that aspect by doing some volunteer work or by starting your own charity of some sort. That helps to show you are a well rounded person who wants to do good in the world and who isn't just selfish.

I hope that helps.
                  Last edited by Dinner; January 8, 2018, 20:58.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

I am suspicious that that doesn't sound good to the big name B-schools. They want someone who will add to their network, not just use it.

JM
                    That's not what you asked me. You asked what is my motivation. That is my motivation. It's also not how I presented my goals in my applications, of course!

Regarding contributing, I am a military officer with the fairly unique (by b-school standards) perspective of balancing parallel careers in the reserves and banking. Most vets come to b-school right out the military without professional work experience and I can share with vets my experiences transitioning and positioning military accomplishments to civilian employers. I also have experience working as part of what is essentially a telecommute tech startup in our mod team that now makes AoE so I have some hands-on experience I'm sure Tech Clubs at any school would be interested to hear. In terms of intangibles and making the school's community better and more diverse, I command a company of 175 Marines and have planned NATO exercises. Figuring out how to solve logistical challenges together with people of other nations is exactly the type of experiences b-schools aspire to develop in their candidates.

Comment

Alby, it's AAHZ here again. Please do not take anybody's advice in this thrade except mine, they will ruin you. I have nevar led you astray, and few on this website has helped you moar than AAHZ has. That said:

Find a website that you can purchase a degree from for a few thousand dollars. Trust me you will find somebody to help you. Just tell them what you told us, give them the money, and you should have your new degree by next week.

You will be saving the world by making video games before you know it!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Order of the Fly

Comment

Top B schools like all top colleges have far more applicants than they have spots. Thus getting in is a bit of a crap shoot. Just keep going down the list and keep applying.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          I was rejected without interview from HBS, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia (no DaShi connection happening, I guess!). Had an interview at MIT Sloan, was rejected and recommended to apply to a 1-year program. Was rejected there. I hired a consultant who reviewed my previous applications. She is confused/surprised that I have been so unsuccessful. I even got featured on a Poets & Quants article about how people with great numbers don't get interviews at HBS. Vets helped me out but were also confused when I didn't get interviews. I have a 760 GMAT, 3.6 undergrad GPA, military experience, banking experience, etc.

No matter what it is, this cloud of it's just inexplicably harder for me keeps following me. All I can do is just keep trucking.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Good luck with your next application.

Go Alby !

Comment

It's good to see you again, though. Hope other aspects of your life are coming along nicely (this is all I can say, because I don't know a damn thing about business school).
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Short of B school, you can always try to get certifications or training in Product Management. https://productinstitute.com/
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X