“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension”

Evolution will no longer be taught in Turkish schools, a senior education official has said, in a move likely to raise the ire of the country’s secular opposition.

Alpaslan Durmuş, who chairs the board of education, said evolution was debatable, controversial and too complicated for students.

“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension,” said Durmuş in a video published on the education ministry’s website.

Durmuş said a chapter on evolution was being removed from ninth grade biology course books, and the subject postponed to the undergraduate period. Another change to the curriculum may reduce the amount of time that students spend studying the legacy of secularism.
    full: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-official-says

Erdo is teh stupid. Dreams of former Ottoman glory will not become reality if the country is turned into a fundie backwater. And he does neither have the money of the oil/gulf states to get away with it nor the political/military weight of Russia to play boss in the ME. Why are those ppl so keen to run down their countries...
    Blah

I am surprised that Erdogan hasn't introduced he death penalty yet, as he intended to do after his succesful referendum.
    (after all he made a graveyard of traitor extra for this purpose)

But maybe he knows that then the flow of money from the EU will stop ... money he desperatelyy needs, consiering his struggling economy
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; June 23, 2017, 08:36. Reason: Forgot the part about the graveard of traitors
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Cancervatives will run every country into the ground if given the chance.

Comment

Failing to teach evolution, while stupid, will have a relatively modest effect on Turkey's prosperity compared to its transition to despotism.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah, kind of have to agree with that one.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It appears the fundy Turks are smarter than fundy Americans.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I wonder what the purpose of this is? Obviously there's something political behind this; is this intended as a purely anti-western gesture, red meat for the base, or something intended to unify the populace (including Kurds)? Or something else?
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                I wonder what the purpose of this is? Obviously there's something political behind this; is this intended as a purely anti-western gesture, red meat for the base, or something intended to unify the populace (including Kurds)? Or something else?
                I would guess it is something religious.
                Erdogan is in bed with islamicfundamentalists and, while he doesn't seem to fully embrace an islamist turkey (which may limit his own power), he seems to be not opposed to more religious control over the common citizen.

So, IMHO it sounds like it is a present to the fundamentalist islamic elements in his government.
                After all, islamic fundamentalists abhor the theory of evolution to a similar degree as the fundamentalist reborn christians in the USA
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Erdo also had the monument at Anzac Cove removed and replaced with a bunch of Isla.ist claptrap. He even removed the plack with Ataturk's speech saying the graves of dead Johnnies will be protected and cared for as if they were our own sons.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sounds like a real douche

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                      Sounds like a real douche
                      I'm no doctor, but I suspect Erdogan's mouth is not sterile, and that having him spit salt water up your intimate regions could lead to infection.
                      1011 1100

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                          Cancervatives will run every country into the ground if given the chance.
                          Then why do liberals allow them to migrate to their countries?
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            It appears the fundy Turks are smarter than fundy Americans.
                            And both are smarter than SJWs.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Maybe one day, you will get back to actually have a real conversation instead of the dribble that comes out of your mouth... until then... Kidiot.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X