Ist Poly Kaputt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
    Trump will make everything great again, including Poly.
    Fakebook has told he'll personally lead the dev of further games in the Civ series, making Civilization great again. Poly should profit from that.
    Blah

Comment

Out of curiousity, how substantial are the running costs for this place?

Comment

2 kiwis

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
          On the main topic - it feels that there is nothing to discuss, we already know what everyone else thinks. Few people are still getting a kick out of Ben or Kid - otherwise, looks like it has all been decided.

Pro/anti religion, Trump, Clinton, gay marriage, war, Russia, super duper surveillance state, food, drinking and Civ VI (crap).
          I don't think this is true. I think there are novel discussions to be had here if we put in the effort, both in starting threads about new ideas and in making sure we don't get dragged into the same old stuff. I've tried this a few times with moderate success, but I'm also guilty of both (a) posting personal crap no one cares about and (b) getting sucked into the same old ****. Also, right now super tired and busy and don't have time to post meaningful bull****.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

As long noone starts "Rest in peace, poly" threads plus a bunch of copycats there's still hope...
            Blah

Comment

I joined FB a while back when my daughter was calling me an old fogey, non technical person. (which is humorous since I'm an IT Director.
              I looked at FB a couple of times a year so I wouldn't have to listen to her giving me ****.
              Now that she's almost 30 she thinks FB is for old Fogeys, so I"m off the hook and don't have to look at it anymore.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

FB isn't particularly great, but it seems to be the place to keep contact with people you do not otherwise see but wish to keep contact with.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The only useful thing is the birthday reminders.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I find FB to be a great networking tool for business. When I need to track someone down for a piece I'm writing, FB has a very high success rate in finding them and establishing contact. Way better than LinkedIn.

It's also where I got in touch with dozens of high school friends after a reunion. Nice, because you can stay in the loop while keeping them at arm's length.

I agree on the downside: When intermingling the personal, professional, and family worlds, one has to take care about what one posts.
                    Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 8, 2016, 14:17.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Also nice for seeing pictures of family (and friends) that you don't get to see often. And to chat with them. I don't really use phones.

I don't really recommend it for in depth discussion or trolling, although both occurs on FB. There is a bunch of garbage, which I try to get rid of but am not entirely successful (I love my gradma, I do, but most things she chooses to share are terrible).

I admit to getting some of my news on FB, just like I do on apolyton, which means FB is part of my bubble like apolyton. However, both places I have contact with very different people so at least I get some depth/diversity in my bubble.

JM
                      (A lot of my highschool acquaintances also share terrible things, but I just ignore theirs)
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                        Out of curiousity, how substantial are the running costs for this place?
                        About $80/mo. The ads roughly cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                          2 kiwis
                          I think we lost our kiwis in the Pandexodus...

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                            Trump will make everything great again, including Poly.
                            I'm using the black background for Poly...so he probably won't make it great for me. But...what have I got to lose?
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              The only useful thing is the birthday reminders.
                              Having problems remebering Ming's birthday as you start to grow old?
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                                I don't think this is true. I think there are novel discussions to be had here if we put in the effort, both in starting threads about new ideas and in making sure we don't get dragged into the same old stuff. I've tried this a few times with moderate success, but I'm also guilty of both (a) posting personal crap no one cares about and (b) getting sucked into the same old ****. Also, right now super tired and busy and don't have time to post meaningful bull****.
                                New ideas are hard, and I at least, appreciate the effort.
                                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                                X