Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the Roman Empire have survived 'til today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
    Yes but roman just meant christian greek and then orthodox greek.
    Turks can't say they "inherited" byzantium since the entity was heavily based on religion and they had another
    All the sources I've read say Hellenization didn't really start until the seventh century or so. Complete by the time of the Crusades. If they kept speaking Latin for, what, three or four centuries after Rome itself became largely irrelevant to their lives, that's saying something.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

well the whole world spoke greek and that includes the romans.
      i'm sure some christian greeks spoke latin too.

the interesting would be at what time greek completely overtook imperial documents, orders etc state files.

I have a suspicion it was always there

Comment

If for example we treat byzantium as a continuous line from the fall of constantinople to the liberation of greece (and we should because lots of its norms in the phanare were there) then it is certain that the liberated greeks indeed called themselves romans. it's how they called one another. then this changed to greek. but if you talk with oldtimers, it's romaios.
        hell, one of the most famous songs in greece is "roman (man) loved roman (woman)" - (there is no gender in english)

Comment

Aye ... speaking greek was something that divided the roman upper classes from the lower ones.

Which is why educated greek slaves that were able to teach the children were in great demand among roman noble families
          (and were regarded as precious property, that often was given much more freedom than the other slaves)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

i'm sure some christian greeks spoke latin too.

the interesting would be at what time greek completely overtook imperial documents, orders etc state files.

I have a suspicion it was always there
            Like I said, it happened a century or two after Muhammad (who is here used purely as a time marker and likely had little to do with it). IIRC, by roughly the time of Charlemagne Greek had displaced Latin for state purposes, and only the very learned spoke the latter. The reverse process happened in the West at roughly the same time.
            1011 1100

Comment

well the period of latin was rather short lived.
              when did rome fall? 450?
              byzantium lasted a milenium more.
              it's silly to think that it wouldn't become hellenized seeing as it was full of hellenes.
              however, the romaios, doesn't include anything relating to rome in the national consciousness. it simply meant greek (christian greek to be precise since greek was reserved for the pagan greeks, the "nationals" as were called) and then gradually dissapeared from the vocabulary after the liberation of 1800

Comment

The "fall" of Rome, like the schism between churches, was gradual and can't be pinned down to any one date. Romulus Augustulus was deposed in 476, but he was a child with no power over anything, and Italy had long since become the playground of barbarian warlords. The West had begun its slide into irrelevance centuries earlier; Constantine moved the center of gravity east in recognition of its greater wealth, population and power. Dating from Constantine (which is where most Byzantine histories in English begin), Byzantium remained officially Latin for about five centuries, almost half its life. Of course it became Greek, but the political continuity is undeniable, and it's not like (to extend Lori's example) modern Britain is culturally all that similar to England in 1200, where everybody important spoke French or Latin . . .
                1011 1100

Comment

I find it hard to believe that slimy latins had anything to do with byzantium

Probably was greek from the offset

rome fell when goths started pillaging and that was the end of it.
                  a weakling

Comment

SatIII:58-125 And What About all Those Greeks?
                    That race most acceptable now to our wealthy Romans,
                    That race I principally wish to flee, I’ll swiftly reveal,
                    And without embarrassment. My friends, I can’t stand
                    A Rome full of Greeks, yet few of the dregs are Greek!
                    For the Syrian Orontes has long since polluted the Tiber,
                    Bringing its language and customs, pipes and harp-strings,
                    And even their native timbrels are dragged along too,
                    And the girls forced to offer themselves in the Circus.
                    Go there, if your taste’s a barbarous whore in a painted veil.
                    See, Romulus, those rustics of yours wearing Greek slippers,
                    Greek ointments, Greek prize medallions round their necks.
                    He’s from the heights of Sicyon, and he’s from Amydon,
                    From Andros, Samos, they come, from Tralles or Alabanda,
                    Seeking the Esquiline and the Viminal, named from its willows.
                    To become both the innards and masters of our great houses.
                    Quick witted, of shamelessly audacity, ready of speech, more
                    Lip than Isaeus, the rhetorician. Just say what you want them
                    To be. They’ll bring you, in one person, whatever you need:
                    The teacher of languages, orator, painter, geometer, trainer,
                    Augur, rope-dancer, physician, magician, they know it all,
                    Your hungry Greeks: tell them to buzz off to heaven, they’ll go.
                    That’s why it was no Moroccan, Sarmatian, or man from Thrace
                    Who donned wings, but one Daedalus, born in the heart of Athens.
                    Should I not flee these people in purple? Should I watch them sign
                    Ahead of me, then, and recline to eat on a better couch than mine,
                    Men propelled to Rome by the wind, with the plums and the figs?
                    Is it nothing that in my childhood I breathed the Aventine air,
                    Is it nothing that in my youth I was nurtured on Sabine olives?
                    And aren’t they the people most adept at flattery, praising
                    The illiterate speech of a friend, praising his ugly face,
                    Likening a weak, scrawny neck to that of brave Hercules,
                    When he lifted the massive Antaeus high above earth,
                    And lost in their admiration for a voice as high-pitched
                    As the cockerel when he pecks at his hen as they mate?
                    We too can offer praise in just the same way: but they
                    Are the ones believed. What comic actor’s better at playing
                    Thais, the whore, or the wife, or Doris, the slave-girl, out
                    Without her cloak? It’s as if a woman were speaking not
                    Merely a mask: you’d think all was smooth and lacking
                    Below the belly, and only split there by a slender crack.
                    Yet our comic turn, Antiochus, would be no great wonder
                    In Greece, Demetrius, Stratocles, or effeminate Haemus:
                    They’re a nation of comics. Laugh, and they’ll be shaken
                    With fits of laughter. They weep, without grief, if they see
                    A friend in tears; if you pine for a little warmth in the winter
                    They don a cloak; if you remark “it’s hot” they’ll start to sweat.
                    So we’re unequal: they’ve a head start who always, day or night,
                    Can adopt the expression they see on someone’s face,
                    Who’re always ready to throw up their hands and cheer
                    If their ‘friend’ belches deeply, or perhaps pisses straight,
                    Or gives a fart when the golden bowl’s turned upside down.
                    Besides, nothing’s sacred to them or safe from their cocks
                    Not the lady of the house, or the virgin daughter, not
                    Even her smooth-faced fiancé, or the unbroken son.
                    Failing that, they’ll have the friend’s grandma on her back.
                    They like to own the secrets of the house, and so be feared.
                    And since I’m mentioning the Greeks, then let’s pass on
                    From their gymnastics to a crime of a darker colour. Celer,
                    The old Stoic turned informer, brought about Barea’s death,
                    His friend and pupil; Celer, of Tarsus, raised by the Cydnus,
                    Where a feather from Pegasus, the Gorgon’s child, landed.
                    There’s no room here for the Romans; it’s some Greek;
                    Protogenes, or Diphilus, or Hermachus who reigns here,
                    Who never shares a friend, since that’s their race’s defect,
                    But monopolises him alone. For once they’ve dripped a drop
                    Of their country’s native poison in a ready ear, I’m driven
                    From the threshold, and my long years of slavery are lost.
                    Nowhere is the casting off of a client more casually done

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                      Well, actually the byzantine empire is the true successor to the roman empire.

And considering that it was the ottomans whop took over Constantinople, it is very clear thatr all of us europeans should bow our heads to Kaiser Erdogan, our Lord and Master
                      Except that the initial EU goal was to rebuild Charlemagne's empire, not the Roman one. The 6 core/founder countries together were effectively reforming Charlemagne's empire, geographicaly at least.
                      There is close to no reference to the Roman empire in the EU. There are a few to Charlemagne's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne_building).
                      It is with the addition of more countries (Spain, Portugal, UK, Greece,...) that some said "hmmm, wait... let's pretend we rebuild the Roman empire instead..."
                      But then came the scandinavian vikings and other barbarians from beyond the Danube...
                      Today, the EU is so large that nobody can tell what we are rebuilding.

The only remains of the roman empire is the RCC. The pope is called the Pontifex Maximus, as was the Roman emperor, and the imperial purple, color of the Emperors, has been overtaken by the Church.
                      Catholics are all that is left from the Western Roman Empire.
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

ok I stop but it's a slow day

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                          I'm thinking there are more puns, just need to consider all the Angles.
                          When building Hadrian's Wall Romans wanted to avoid dead angles. But as it turned out, this couldn't stop the living ...
                          Blah

Comment

I find it hard to believe that slimy latins had anything to do with byzantium

Probably was greek from the offset

rome fell when goths started pillaging and that was the end of it.
                            a weakling
                            Cannot be so weak ... considering the fact that the romans conquered the greek states with ease

Obviously the greek made the mistake of resting on their own past laurels for too long ... instead of adapting to modern times ... especially when it came to battle strategies
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS!
                              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                                ROMANES EUNT DOMUS!
                                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                                X