Defence of the species (semi serious)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
    You're not properly accounting for the game theoretic aspect of this. As long as the thing costs substantially less than the discounted future consumption of your entire society, then the rational move is to pay for it. In this case, that ratio is likely less than 1%, which makes the choice obvious.
    I'm not sure how rational humans are for longer timescales. I think the discount factor would be very large as people are myopic. Even more so when the threat is non-tangible and generally out of mind. Look to see how much traction climate change threats are getting, or how much people care to save for retirement.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Which planet will we use to test the doomsday device to make sure it works? Mars?

Comment

Proxima B?
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
          Which planet will we use to test the doomsday device to make sure it works? Mars?
          Earth. They'll never see it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            I'm not sure how rational humans are for longer timescales. I think the discount factor would be very large as people are myopic. Even more so when the threat is non-tangible and generally out of mind. Look to see how much traction climate change threats are getting, or how much people care to save for retirement.
            With reduced scarcity, increased longevity, and access to nootropics/genetic engineering/AI, it could be argued that human rationality will trend upwards with better technology. If a correlation between rationality and technology is universal (this seems like a very bad assumption, especially given that people disagree on what rational actually means for prisoner dilemma-type scenarios), then it's possible that at the point where annihilating alien civilizations becomes trivial, a rational (read: awful) analysis of the situation becomes inevitable.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The worst reading of the Fermi paradox is that I'm right, and the few remaining alien civilizations are quiet, well-defended, and genocidal.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you were in control of the decision to irrevocably activate the doomsday device - which is built and ready to deploy at no more cost - on another world with a confirmed intelligence on it, based only on the knowledge and reasoning you have now, would you press the button?

And on another note would the type of intelligence affect your decision if you discovered it was in a certain form - e.g. almost human, a computer like intelligence, a bug world, etc. I'd imagine people would find a giant can of doomsday Raid more palatable than killing something that reminded us of much more of ourselves.

Comment

Today's SMBC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1473259049-20160907.png
Views:	1
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	9102906
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Cute, but inaccurate. Fossil fuels is what jump started our rapid technological advancement in the first place.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Also.

Originally posted by Hover Text
                      I'm just saying, it's what WE would do.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1473259665-20160907after.png
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	9102907
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Maybe we are some long dead civilizations kill bots ...

Comment

The most ingenious of all...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                          X