Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a fair price for a 500-page trade paperback?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh, I intend to e-book it. I understand the profit margins are decent because no printing is involved, and I'm not such a purist that I insist on killing a tree for the sake of art (the picture doesn't make clear how big this whale is).

    I just need to muster up the energy to make the needed edits first. The current title page, for example, looks woefully amateur, and I think I could bring the price down a good deal by tightening up the typeface further. Which will involve reformatting one more freaking time. I'm being self-indulgent and just wallowing in YAAAAAAY I HAVE A PROOF for today. I'll try and go back to formatting hell tomorrow, since I have a half day at work. Family life, etc. permitting.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Elok View Post
      Does Kindle use a proprietary format nobody else can read?
      Good question!!!

      Comment


      • Kindle just uses .mobi which I didn't think was proprietary, but a quick check shows it has been bought by Amazon. Most other things use .epub and there's a general thought that Amazon will eventually have to allow it too because converting epub to mobi is easy but irritating. Calibre is a useful program for doing it if you ever want to.

        Comment


        • Yes, epub is nice. But Amazon has over 60% market share:


          JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

          Comment


          • My... ukranian e-book reader can handle mobi and epub as well as latin cyrilic and of course greek alphabets so we're set
            as long as the mobi is not modified and exclusive to kindle

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
              My... ukranian e-book reader can handle mobi and epub as well as latin cyrilic and of course greek alphabets so we're set
              as long as the mobi is not modified and exclusive to kindle
              Doesn't matter if it was, just run it through Calibre and turn it into an epub.

              Comment


              • Ok as long as the kindle mobi is not locked and can be opened through calibre.
                But if it can be opened in a non kindle e-book reader then I think I can open it just fine.

                Comment


                • Publishing in the next day or two--Amazon makes you go through a proof stage, but I'm happy with what I've got, so I think I'll be able to unleash it as soon as the proof has shipped. We shall see. Let me just say, this took a LOT longer than I expected. I understand this is the norm for basically any kind of book. Or movie. Or any creative work undertaken without the assistance of a whip-wielding editor.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

                  Comment


                  • Elok is a nerd.
                    Order of the Fly

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Publishing in the next day or two--Amazon makes you go through a proof stage, but I'm happy with what I've got, so I think I'll be able to unleash it as soon as the proof has shipped. We shall see. Let me just say, this took a LOT longer than I expected. I understand this is the norm for basically any kind of book. Or movie. Or any creative work undertaken without the assistance of a whip-wielding editor.


                      Hope it goes/sells well!
                      Blah

                      Comment


                      • Good for you, man!
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

                        Comment


                        • Yeah congrats on completing it.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

                          Comment


                          • First dibs on a movie deal... but I need a free copy.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

                            Comment


                            • Comment


                              • Holy crap.



                                CS says it won't appear on Amazon for a couple of days. My PC chose a remarkably inopportune time to give up the ghost so I'm typing this on my MIL's laptop (long story). Any comments on my purple prose, etc.?
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X