We need to come up with some better words for describing specific prejudices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dry View Post
    Do I hate/fear the belief, or the persons who hold that belief?
    Other options are to deride the belief and to pity/scorn the persons who hold that belief, and in any case it depends on the belief and on the person holding that belief. Take fundamentalist Christianity as an example. When I was in college I met many fundamentalists who were raised that way and had always been discouraged (possibly under threat of damnation) to question their beliefs, i.e. they were fundamentalists by default, and so I didn't much care for their beliefs but this didn't affect my opinion of them as a person because these weren't really their beliefs (yet). At the other end of the spectrum are "fundamentalists" like Kidicious who sought out the religion so that they could claim that all of the beliefs that they already had actually came from god - in this case there's no difference between Kidicious and his so-called religion. And for most of the people I've met (fundamentalist or otherwise) religion is just something they do on Sunday morning (or whenever), so religion is such a small part of who they are that their religion really doesn't affect my opinion of them as a person one way or another.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
      At the other end of the spectrum are "fundamentalists" like Kidicious who sought out the religion so that they could claim that all of the beliefs that they already had actually came from god - in this case there's no difference between Kidicious and his so-called religion.
      I feel that's a more accurate description of BK than Kid. Kid legitimately appears to have undergone a radical transformation from insane communist to insane Christian. His views were quite different before his conversion, even if he was just as rabid and incoherent. I'll admit we can't know the exact timeframe for when his beliefs changed and when he became Christian, though.
      Last edited by Lorizael; December 9, 2015, 10:55.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I do think that he believes that the bible contains The Truth where before he did not, however what appears to have happened is that he started reading the bible after deciding / being convinced that it contains The Truth, said "man, this is a lot of work, I'm just going to wing it," and just started making stuff up from there on out. In other words, whereas BK is malicious, Kidicious is lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          I feel that's a more accurate description of BK than Kid. Kid legitimately appears to have undergone a radical transformation from insane communist to insane Christian. His views were quite different before his conversion, even if he was just as rapid and incoherent. I'll admit we can't know the exact timeframe for when his beliefs changed and when he became Christian, though.
          The happened within a very short timeframe. I read he Bible and believed it, and abandoned my political beliefs. Some would say I'm conservative, but I'm really not. Really I'm anti-liberal. Idk why I'm not more anti-conservative, it's probably from posting here too much.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You are conservative.

Comment

false dichotomy

Comment

Good thread. From now on I will refer to Kid as Bigotron and Ben as Optimus Bigot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  The happened within a very short timeframe. I read he Bible and believed it, and abandoned my political beliefs. Some would say I'm conservative, but I'm really not. Really I'm anti-liberal. Idk why I'm not more anti-conservative, it's probably from posting here too much.
                  What's an example of a non-conservative political opinion that you hold?

Comment

What's an example of a non-conservative political opinion that you hold?
                    I don't believe in Christmas.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Why?
                        Because I'm not conservative. It's a traditional holiday. I don't believe in tradition.

Comment

I don't believe in Christmas.

Comment

Because I'm not conservative. It's a traditional holiday. I don't believe in tradition.
                            You believe in some traditions, e.g. the traditional non-biblical belief that the serpent in the garden of eden is Satan - why reject Christmas but not other religious traditions?

Comment

You believe in some traditions, e.g. the traditional non-biblical belief that the serpent in the garden of eden is Satan - why reject Christmas but not other religious traditions?
                              Whatever. I showed you the verse that says the serpent was Satan.

Comment

You showed me a verse that a serpent in a completely different book was Satan - there's a traditional but not a biblical link between the two serpents. There are several people named John in the bible, are they all the same person?

Comment

Working...
                                X