No announcement yet.

We need to come up with some better words for describing specific prejudices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to come up with some better words for describing specific prejudices

Prompted by
    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    I think they're saying it's not terrorism because the guy was muslim. You can't say it's terrorism if the guy is muslim. That's racist.
    Obviously (I hope) "muslim" is not a race, however I can't think of a term that would specifically mean "prejudiced against somebody because of their religion" - based on "racist" and "sexist" meaning "prejudiced against somebody because of their race/sex" one would think that "theist" would do the trick, but that means something else entirely.

"Homophobic" is another irritating one, because as somebody once unironically pointed out to me, "I'm not scared of gay people, I just hate them." I think this term derives from the belief that if somebody hates gay people then they must be gay but are scared to admit it, which is really stupid - that would be like saying that Kidicious or BK must be closeted Muslims.
    Last edited by loinburger; December 7, 2015, 12:56.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

I guess you could call Muslim-haters anti-Semites, since Arabs are Semitic. Anyone who thinks homosexual marriage will destroy heterosexual marriage, or is worried about gays "recruiting" children, is in fact afraid of gay people and the term "homophobe" fits pretty well.

Comment

Misogynist
      Misanthrope
      Misandrist

Mishomoist? MisIslamist?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

How about "rhagfarncrefyd" and "rhagfarnrhywioldeb", which is pseudo-Welsh for "prejudice against religion" and "prejudice against sexuality" respectively

Hey Mobius, how the hell do you pronounce that nonsense?
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

How very insensitive towards Muslims.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
            I guess you could call Muslim-haters anti-Semites, since Arabs are Semitic. Anyone who thinks homosexual marriage will destroy heterosexual marriage, or is worried about gays "recruiting" children, is in fact afraid of gay people and the term "homophobe" fits pretty well.
            Also, anyone who doesn't give a gay person money whenever requested, or makes them cakes whenever requested.

Comment

Is your ex-wife a lesbian? I don't know how else you could have reached the conclusion that gay people can demand money from other people.

Comment

Yeah. You must be a homophobe.

Comment

This is your contribution to the world.

This thread.

And others like it.

****bag

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                    This is your contribution to the world.

This thread.

And others like it.

****bag

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                    I actually have a job so stop projecting.

Comment

you say that as if you have something i want/need

thanks, i found another way
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        you say that as if you have something i want/need

thanks, i found another way
                        Posting on the internet?

Comment

spamme is bigge bussinessee
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hmmm, a term to describe someone that hates because of your religion......

Benist.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                              Prompted byObviously (I hope) "muslim" is not a race, however I can't think of a term that would specifically mean "prejudiced against somebody because of their religion" - based on "racist" and "sexist" meaning "prejudiced against somebody because of their race/sex" one would think that "theist" would do the trick, but that means something else entirely.
                              I think some have used the word religionist/m.

The only problem with that word is: if you compare it to racist/m, then do you mean really prejudice against persons or only against the system of values, the philosophy?
                              Do I hate/fear the belief, or the persons who hold that belief?

Unlike races (who do not exist, scientifically speaking) or sexual orientation that are about who the people are, religions are more about people's choice, or value system. So, unlike race or sexual orientation, to be opposed to a given religion is not necessarily be opposed to the people themselves.
                              You can think a person is wrong about his/her belief system, his/her philosophy, you cannot say "I think you are of the wrong race, let's debate this. At the end of the discussion, I hope you'll join my race".
                              The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                              X