Can you win terrorism with force?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you win terrorism with force?

I don't think it is possible. Unless you go medieval, and that is not a good idea.

I think there is a divide between the west and the east once again in a big way. Both sides are not themselves clear cut, as differing opinions always occur. There are terrorism supporters in the West who more or less accept deaths of people because "we did it first and there's more dead of them". Which makes no sense, as we are talking about innocent people. We should never go for revenge attacks. Attacks - yes, but on known militants and actors. I think that is the difference. And yes it matters. Some say it does not because the west kills more innocent people with their supposedly accurate strikes. While this might be true, does the intention matter? I think it does. If the West went on a killing rampage, aside MAD and avoiding China/Russia, or perhaps seeking cooperation, terrorists would all blow up.

To the question, I don't think it is even possible. These groups mainly take over places that are poor with poor education. They can be influential, promising better life or blaming others for the poverty. Propaganda works, because some of it is true to some extent. So there will always be young men and women, ready to blow themselves up. Our tolerance for such attacks is very low.

So I think what we need is to let these freedom hating groups to know we are not giving one inch and we are not even going to revenge bomb them back. West should keep taking out all the known terrorist cells and training centers and choke their finance. That would, of course, bring us to oil.

But the Saudis need to be dropped. I'd say, now the west should seek to close its ties with Russia. They have oil. Get some influence over the Eurasia region. Yes, we CAN isolate them, but beyond rhetorics, is it pragmatic? I think the West, together with Russia is too strong for anyone. Sure, we all have to give up the cold war dream and start working with a gangster... but, one thing at a time. They share the same enemy, and yeah they might back up the wrong guy in Syria but with discussions, that can be changed. Just give up the ME region and seek energy from other regions and remove conflicting interests.

And yes, that probably means we'd have to do some heated talks with Russia to settle some of the NATO/Warsaw pact. It is kind of like my daily job at the moment. Things are conflicted and in a pile of poo, so I need to dig in and fix a lot of heated things before the actual surfaced layer of crap, vomit and piss can be cleaned up. But as a result, we have a functioning colon slings poo fast, hard and accurately. And peoplw will be pissed off.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I think going Old Testament is a feasible idea. Invade, occupy, remove adult population, baptize the children, level the mosques. A billion deaths later you have a Christian Middle East.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Ugh. No. No, no, no.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Either you go total war or you don't.
        There is no popular support for total war.
        So you don't.
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I think it's too late now.
          The west has been ****ing with the middle east for so long and with devastating effects for the region that now nothing can be done.
          Libya was just the latest example with known protagonists and a proof that nothing was learned.

There is going to be none acceleration of "operations" anywhere in the middle east or n. africa by the west because they know that this will radicalize 110% the vast muslim population and yesterday's events will become everyday occurance.

It will just blow off and security measures and internal surveillance will skyrocket.

Hopefully it will also lead to a more realistic approach in those regions.

Comment

Total war... ffs?!? - what about not starting the Iraq, Lybian, Syrian... wars in the first place.

Or better yet, now that you have them - work for actual peace and not for interest groups points in those destroyed societies.

Remove that, and remove terrorism, may take a bit of time given who much ****ed the middle east up since WWI and especially since Bush the genius, but how much are you hearing about IRA or ETA these days? Their grievances are largely removed via a political process, thus giving the people a non-violent means of expression.

That's all it takes, but the will in our power circles is about 0 for it, we are imperialists vII, just as bad as vI and effectively even worse, given that this time we are pretending that we are not there to pillage and destroy while in our wake the destruction is even worse then at the height of 19th century looting.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

very well said, onefoot.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

(though i don't think you can blame the west for the syrian civil war).
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Sure you can, I did a few days ago post on it, however in the Ukraine thread ( wrongly addressed though, the discussion was not Syria at the time )
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                    Total war... ffs?!? - what about not starting the Iraq, Lybian, Syrian... wars in the first place.
                    I answered Pekka's question. Don't get your pants in a twist.
                    Please find me one example where I supported the invasions/interventions of Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, etc... Even in the post you answered to I said "you don't".
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      (though i don't think you can blame the west for the syrian civil war).
                      LOL!!!!

Who have ignited that war, who have supplied the radicals with weapons, if not the West?

Comment

I don't know, who supplied ISIS with a mix of Soviet, Chinese and American equipment?

Comment

The only Soviet equipment they have are their trophies took from the Syrian army. The brand new American and German military hardware in hands of ISIS is another case.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb View Post
                            The only Soviet equipment they have are their trophies took from the Syrian army. The brand new American and German military hardware in hands of ISIS is another case.
                            Well, who supplied the syrian army with soviet equipment?
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                              I answered Pekka's question. Don't get your pants in a twist.
                              Please find me one example where I supported the invasions/interventions of Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, etc... Even in the post you answered to I said "you don't".
                              Fair enough if this was spoken in jest, as these days there are too many people who take this position for real, and they are not really "traditionally" far right.

Comment

Working...
                              X