Can Pol: Federal Election 2015. Yes, We're Still Here Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Pol: Federal Election 2015. Yes, We're Still Here Edition

Hi Everyone. I trust you're here and paying attention. Narff!

At any rate. Seems the Great White North (you know, where Terence and Philip live) is having an interesting election. :/

Why would it be interesting, you'd say? And I'd say damned good question!

The answer would not be what you've been led to believe. The answer is that it is sea change election. Not a sea change about the ruling Tories, but between the Liberals and NDP. Coles notes for non-Canadians, the NDP are the holdovers from the Bolsheviks of the 20s (extremely recent evidence, opposition to international trade), the Liberals are the ones who ruled Canada for much of a century by convincing people only they stood between rule from Stalin on the left or the Pope and the Arch Bishop of Canterbury on the right (evidence, election results from Borden to Harper).

All that's been tossed.

Now we have the NDP running on a balanced budget and the Liberals promising to run up deficits. How the world turns.

The rub is, the Liberal Party of Canada can in no way, shape or form allow an NDP government to pass a Throne Speech (that's how we roll up here, we make Speeches from the Throne, other subjects of the Crown will be familiar). If they allow an NDP government to breath for even a millisecond they will be destroyed. Their reason for existence (remember, standing between Stalin and Pope Hitler) will be undone. People might just say, this isn't so bad.

So, you read it here first ladies and germs, Conservative minority government with the Liberals failing to show up for any confidence votes in order to prop up Harper for at least 2 years while they figure out how to give the NDP the knife.

This has been your election night in advance, you're welcome.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

How many goddamn Quebecers can we cram into a single election? It's so bad that I'm going to have to vote for the Greens even if it means putting an American into 24 Sussex.

Comment

hopefully yall legalize recreational soon

i'd love to move up north until things get friendlier
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

BC Bud

Comment

i hear good things

but haven't found any reliable seedbanks to work with

maybe soon

also, i officially dont care about the rest of your politics

so carry on
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
            Coles notes...
            Can I get the Cliff notes on what Coles notes are?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Cliffs Notes are just the ****tier licensed version of Coles Notes that they sell in the States.

Comment

If the Cons end up with a minority, neither the NDP or the Liberals will vote with them. Period. Either a new election will take place, or the party in second place could try to form government.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzy Drake View Post
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coles_Notes

Cliffs Notes are just the ****tier licensed version of Coles Notes that they sell in the States.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                    If the Cons end up with a minority, neither the NDP or the Liberals will vote with them. Period. Either a new election will take place, or the party in second place could try to form government.
                    So you think that NDP and Liberals would share power?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

What was the compromise in the TPP wrt the Canadian dairy market? Will that have an effect on Canadian elections?
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post

I expect the Liberals to do what they did at times during Harper's last minority government. They'll not vote on confidence issues. They can't afford to let the NDP near power.

This assumes a one-two-three finish of PC-NDP-Lib or PC-Lib-NDP.

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                        So you think that NDP and Liberals would share power?

JM
                        I'm thinking there are pretty well no circumstances under which the Liberals would share power with the NDP. If they win the most seats they wouldn't need to. They could run a minority government. If they're the second most seats that'd be a lot trickier. The GG might want some sort of formal assurance of NDP support, and that opens up the 'NDP close to or in power' box.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          What was the compromise in the TPP wrt the Canadian dairy market? Will that have an effect on Canadian elections?
                          Seems really lax. Something like 3.5% of the market. Booo!

And the GoC will compensate the industry to the tune of billions for 10 years. ****ing parasites! (Dairy and chicken farmers, not the GoC; they're a different form of vermin).
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

The NDP are falling fast. Looks like a traditional heavyweight match between libs and cons. Still a likely minority. Mulcair is on record as saying he would 'work with' the libs, but not the cons.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

About 20% of voters have already voted in advanced polls.

The last couple of days have seen the NDPs poll numbers increase, and the liberals continue to increase. The Cons have turned to 'Ford nation' as their numbers continue to slip.

And the election is getting world coverage, for the wrong reason -

From The Economist - http://www.economist.com/news/americ...-veiled-attack
                              Headline
                              Canada’s election

Veiled attack

Muslim-bashing is an effective campaign tactic

From the Post -
                              https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/10/05/how-a-muslim-veil-is-dominating-canadas-election-race/

Headline
                              How a Muslim veil is dominating Canada’s election race

My favourite, from Esquire - http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ophobia-islam/
                              Headline
                              What the F*ck Is Going on up in Canada?

Also The Guardian, The Independent, Vox, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X