No announcement yet.

Can Pol: Federal Election 2015. Yes, We're Still Here Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? No Ben post confidently predicting an increased Con majority? I am greatly saddened.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

He was banned for getting too many predictions wrong.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Apparently. Trudeau is looking forward to meeting Putin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CRumS6hWUAAszfC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	9102057
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

No more CF-18s in Syria
          Opening up relations with Iran
          Taking in more refugees

What else was he promising?
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

legal pot
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

What else was he promising?
              Make the rich pay! (a couple of % points more taxes for high incomes + middle class tax cuts).
              More infrastructure spending.
              No more 'active combat' in Iraq and Syria.
              Stop anti-'brown people' activism.
              Gender parity in cabinet appointments. (They elected 50 female MPs, so this is quite doable.)
              Unicorns and Rainbows!
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Our new PM at Toronto's Gay ride parade... Not very gay...

Name:	CL0vTHvUwAELK0s.png
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	9102058

Also, Stephen Harper has resigned. By press release. Doug Ford has said he's interested in leading the Cons.

Comment

Canada actually did something right for once

Comment

Both the TSX (Stock Exchange) and the Canadian $ went up yesterday. I guess they didn't get Harper's memo, or maybe the economy can survive without him.

I do expect a huge spike in unemployment in the next couple of months when the Con PMO political staff are let go. It will be interesting to see whether Trudeau dissolves PMO, INC. and goes back to normal staffing levels. I would also love to see an audit of the Harper PMO; this will never happen, though.

Comment

Shamelessly stolen from another post on another site...

Name:	CQaqH_HUYAACc7Q.jpglarge.jpg
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	9102062
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

...in 1960, the government of John Diefenbaker extended the vote unconditionally to the First Nations. Meanwhile, the provinces had begun granting the franchise to Aboriginal people in 1949 when British Columbia became the first to do so.
                        yes. Canada was quite conservative until the '60, and began regressing to 'old timy' values under Harper. Canadian citizen living abroad were not allowed to vote this time, and people with Canadian dual citizenship were next to be disenfranchised.

Comment

Oh jeez
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

My brother, who has taught in Taiwan and has only Canadian citizenship, wasn't allowed to vote. Harper said dual citizens had to 'have skin in the game' if they wanted to vote. Harper is/was an evil dyck.

Comment

Which riding would an expatriate be a part of?

Comment

If you still have a spouse or parent living in Canada, you would receive a special ballot for their riding. If not, it would be your last riding in Canada.
                                Most democratic nations, including the US & UK have ways for expats to vote. The 'Fair Elections Act' that the Conservatives brought in a couple of years ago, disallowed expat voting, and made it more difficult for students and first nations people to vote, requiring them to have ID most didn't normally have. This law was opposed by all the opposition parties at the time, and Elections Canada, and arms length organization. The funny thing is this galvanized both students and first nations groups that did end up voting in record numbers. While no breakdown is possible, I suspect most voted against Harper's Cons.

Comment

Working...
                                X