Woman fired for reporting racist t-shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giblets View Post
    I don't care if you want to have a thread about this, but your concern trolling about how you think this should be national news is stupid.
    It would be national news here, I just find it strange that you're so dismissive about it.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      It would be national news here, I just find it strange that you're so dismissive about it.
      There's no way you can possibly prove that it would be national news in your tiny country.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
        There's no way you can possibly prove that it would be national news in your tiny country.
        Yes, our 'tiny' country of only 65 million people. As for whether I can prove it or not, a story about a woman on the tube verbally racially abusing other passengers was headline news for days, so yes I think I can prove it.

Comment

While I found this offensive, and agree that we need to keep it in the foreground so people see it, I have to agree that I don't consider it national news.
          It's like the nightly shooting in Chicago. It needs to be stamped out, and while I have to listen to it on the local news, it's just too common to be considered national news.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, our 'tiny' country of only 65 million people. As for whether I can prove it or not, a story about a woman on the tube verbally racially abusing other passengers was headline news for days, so yes I think I can prove it.
            Verbally harassing people is now the same as wearing a racist shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              While I found this offensive, and agree that we need to keep it in the foreground so people see it, I have to agree that I don't consider it national news.
              It's like the nightly shooting in Chicago. It needs to be stamped out, and while I have to listen to it on the local news, it's just too common to be considered national news.
              We don't have many shootings to fill the news.

Comment

Northern Alabama is actually pretty nice place. It's generally pretty and some of the small towns are charming (Huntsville is a fairly fun small city as well, partially because of the NASA stuff). I've traveled up there for work and no one ever treated me unkindly for being a South Asian. Though you end up with idiots everywhere it seems - they tend to tarnish an area.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

We don't have many shootings to fill the news.
                  The worst thing, is that they're so common in Chicago that if someone doesn't die, it won't even make the local news.

Over the fourth of July weekend it was like 9 killed 46 wounded. The newscasts aren't long enough to cover all of them
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And it turns the broadcasts into Death News. I seldom watch the local evening news anymore.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

And yet, when our most recent poster (Paiktis) was suspended for making racist comments, neither Ken nor Mobius had anything to say about it............
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        And yet, when our most recent poster (Paiktis) was suspended for making racist comments, neither Ken nor Mobius had anything to say about it............
                        Funny how knowing the parties involved can change one's understanding of the context.
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Personally I thought he was trying to make a weak joke and managed to screw it up through poor English. I hadn't been reading that thread much though anyway and wasn't sure, so I stayed away from it, trusting Aeson to do what he thought was best.

Comment

And from your article
                            Both men told WAFF that the shirts were worn as a joke
                            Although I will grant that poor English is a better excuse than poor judgment.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

And from your article
                              Hmm, lets see.. Maybe, just maybe, there's a difference between saying something racist in a way that is actually intended to mock racism, and walking around dressing in the slogans of a racist group and afterwards going 'oh it was just a joke!'.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Paiktis wasn't trying to mock racism. He had a whole rant about how Capitalism required racism to support it. Therefore any capitalist was racist and should be able to take racism directed at them.

It's in the Lost and Found thread somewhere if you want to look it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X