No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It only takes one. Keep up the effort. IT WILL PAY OFF.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I used to be rejected a lot because I worked for several years before starting university (I was 23 at the time), and unlike most other people who start studying engineering only after several years working, I didn't have much work experience in any engineering field. So I was too old for trainee programs, and didn't have relevant work experience for other roles. I generally came off good when I managed to get interviews. First three interviewers said no because wrong profile(their job ad was a bit vague)/too 'old' (they 'missed' my dob on my CV)/didn't hit it off with my would-be boss, an then fourth and fifth interviews turned into job offers.

My point is, at least here and in my field, it's hard to get over the first 'filter' if you don't look 'perfect' on paper, so it might take a while.
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Just keep going. Rejections are discouraging, but I would give it at least another month.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Yes, having your resume rejected a lot is part of the process.
          Don't get discouraged until you've been rejected in many many interviews.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I was told I am ineligible for veterans programs because I have experience.

So ineligible for undergraduate entry level, only accounting experience precludes me from experienced positions in anything outside of accounting, and because I have experience with a bank, I'm ineligible for veterans programs.

This is nonsense.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• have you considered going into business for yourself in some way?
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• maybe you should stick with the marines, you worked really hard to get in

Comment

• The solution of course would be to get an MBA, allowing me to start over but I wanted to earn more money first before the expense of an out of pocket MBA.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• MBAs should be paid for, like PhDs.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      I was told I am ineligible for veterans programs because I have experience.

So ineligible for undergraduate entry level, only accounting experience precludes me from experienced positions in anything outside of accounting, and because I have experience with a bank, I'm ineligible for veterans programs.

This is nonsense.
                      Send out applications without your bank experience or such things.

Sounds silly, but you just need interviews.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The solution of course would be to get an MBA, allowing me to start over but I wanted to earn more money first before the expense of an out of pocket MBA.
                        i honestly despair of people who, with few resources at their disposal, insist on taking part in the educational arms race.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The solution of course would be to get an MBA, allowing me to start over but I wanted to earn more money first before the expense of an out of pocket MBA.
                          With MBA all the programs are the same but 90% of the difference is name recognition and the network you build while there. They generally are not worth it if you go to a third tear school.

They are well worth it of you go to a top 10 school. Most of the big firms with the high salaries won't even look at your resume unless you went to a top 20 school. That is just the way it is.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            They generally are not worth it if you go to a third tear school.
                            So don't cry too much when forking over the payment
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• The lower tier schools can occasionally be worth it for a MBA if you already have a good job, they will pay for part of your continuing education, and such a degree will help you secure a promotion. Failing that, no, not really worth it. Go to a top school or get someone else to pay for it.
                              Last edited by Dinner; November 15, 2015, 15:45.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I cry when I think of lower tear schools but at least the one I went to taught me to spell it tier.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X