Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
    So leave it in if you want, but don't use more than a line for it.
    Will it seem odd when there's no bullet points for three jobs in the middle of my work history and extensive bullets for all the others?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• The tree jobs you're skimming are single-year jobs, it would be logical you didn't manage to achieve as much...
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• This is what I have now. It doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing, though, with the empty jobs in the middle creating the metaphorical hole in a resume.
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; October 20, 2015, 07:40.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          It makes sense for positions from 20 years ago. I think it will cause problems when I say I've been with BNY since a nebulous month in 2012.
          I was in school 20 years ago. I don't mention summer jobs I had then

But I only inlude months for my current job and my past one (2012)
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

This is what I have now. It doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing, though, with the empty jobs in the middle creating the metaphorical hole in a resume. [ATTACH]177756[/ATTACH]
            I'd drop months for everything from the hotel down. (2012 ; 2011 ; 2006-2010 ; 2008 (maybe this one can go away altogether?) ; 2004-2007 )
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• nm,m
              Last edited by Al B. Sure!; November 16, 2015, 22:50.

Comment

• Butler?

Where's your summary?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

And have a 3 year employment gap?!
                  Dude, you are responsible for that, not I.

And, BTW, it is that kind of attitude that stands in your way of your professional carreer. Nobody enjoys know-it-alls.

If you want to keep irrelavant information in your CV, fine, but stop nagging about the fact that you have too much unnecessairy information on your cv then.
                  Last edited by dannubis; September 22, 2015, 04:09.
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Still too much crap.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Still too much crap.
                      I would put your current jobs only (starting 2012). Remove all the meaningless jobs. Put in a skill section where you list your skills, you can put in your managerial skills (and the jobs/dates you acquired them). You can even put your customer service skills (Butler/etc).

It would be a better way to express things instead of taking as much space to say nothing about you being a Butler, Data Entry, and Teller for a year each as you do for being a 1st Lieutenant or Accountant.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Don't even bother putting the dates in the skill section. If they ask fine, and if not (WHICH THEY WON"T BECAUSE IT"S BORING) it's not an issue.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Put 1999 to 2015: Apolyton

'Nuff said. Instant hire.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• nm
                            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; November 16, 2015, 22:49.

Comment

• Looking cleaner and much improved. Well done.

A few picky improvements.

1. demote your visual basic macro to number 3 in that section
                              2. since you mention vb and macros that skills list as number four is kind of redundant and just kind of hanging there. Fit the bloomberg terminal thing into one of the descriptions and just drop the skills thing.
                              3. Since your education is listed as 2008, jobs before then are not really necessary. So the checker section is almost optional. I'd personally leave it off to create a little more white space. But your option.

But overall I think you're almost there.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I've improved the resume. I'll post it if anyone's interested.

The rejections are coming heavy since I started flooding applications. I get 3-5 rejections a day now.

I started calling the recruiters and HR people tactfully asking why they chose to pursue other candidates.

I inquired about more entry level and analyst programs and the response I got was one of "for this position, we're looking for candidates with no work experience".

I have no relevant experience for experienced positions and too much experience for entry level positions.

While oddly, accounting firms have rejected me as well and that's where my experience lies!

Comment

Working...
                                X