No announcement yet.

Getting a better job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to leave this job not get better at it. The time and energy learning accounting would probably be better spent refreshing my knowledge of finance or working on job search stuff.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I see your point Alby.

My point was that a bit of upskilling might get you a little closer to a better job.

Would knowing how to prepare these entries be useful in your next job? That is the key question.

Knowing how to prepare these entries is far more valuable that knowing how to enter them. If you knew you can truthfully say that you can "do" these entries.

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
        True. I meant only that it is a good thing he found it. It is a big chunk of the contact value although it may not affect the materiality of the amounts in the annual accounts of whoever it was.

I know auditors do not assess materiality on a contract by contract basis.

I should not have used the word "materiality" given the specific meaning the word has in a finance context.
        The number of times people have asked me why an auditor didn't pick up a particular fraud makes me assume as default that people don't know what an auditor actually does. I guess the point I was making is that in an interview, people will (or should) challenge your understanding of your area of experience. So Alby should expect questions drilling down into claims on the CV. Whether the challenge is open ended friendly inquiry or specific confrontational inquisition.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Technically, it's the contracting officer representative who validates contract performance and should have identified the discrepancy. Military comptrollers and the Army Budget Office made the same error in their funding authorization. The Army Corps of Engineers likely also screwed up the independent government cost estimate as they normally do.

But I said auditors because it's relatable private sector terminology. It was also what the brigadier general who emailed me referred to. That I identified issues overlooked by numerous audits.
          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 11, 2015, 09:03.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
            This (reworded) needs to be in there. This is what drives you and will set you apart from the other 10 CVs.
            What do you mean by this? Should I focus on what the position can provide me?

Comment

Try to shave off every unneeded word you can. People get bored and don`t read the damn things.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I sliced and diced but am still having great difficulty understanding how to bring a company's information into the cover letter. I cannot say why I'd want to work for firm X or firm Y in particular because I don't have such discriminating reasons.

The resume also got sliced a bit but I added a little more to the Education section.

As you can see, I'm thinking about making myself seem younger than I actually am by removing my 4 years as a manager at Sodexo. From this resume, one would probably assume I graduated college around 2012 instead of five years prior. Putting 'Selected courses' emphasizes this manipulated assumption.

Comment

I think "leadership" should be "management" or at a stretch "management/leadership". I.e merge the two and drop project in the cover.

And is it not just Bank of New York, rather than the Bank of New York.

The bit about wanting to work for their company over another, you could say you would look forward to learning more about the specific role if given an interview.

And it's looking good.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    What do you mean by this? Should I focus on what the position can provide me?
                    I would state your long term goals and aspirations somewhere. You seem to be keen on learning new stuff and taking on new responsibilities. Put that (reworded as you like) on your CV together with the summary of your current skillset at the top.

Cover letter and CV look very good. Great job!
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

WTF, I know I posted in this thread, but WTF happened to it?

Resume sort, in town on top, the rest to the bottom, lets get the in town guys that have good matches in for interviews. Out of town, phone interviews, but only if we have time and they are absolutely awesome. Hence you change of a city move is slim, I do not see awesome on that resume. Good, but not awesome.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Easy fix. I remove the locations of my jobs. That really doesn't have to be on a resume right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh View Post
                          Try to shave off every unneeded word you can. People get bored and don`t read the damn things.
                          Yeah, wordy documents usually mean wordy people. Those I always avoided. When I had 10 resumes on my desk I would always look at the one with the most white space on it first. (usually just off-white to make it stand out) The multi page ones last. By then I would have lost interest.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I fit my CV into one sheet
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yes, a single page CV with a single page cover letter. Electronic is slightly different but the same concepts apply. SHORT IS SWEET.

If it takes multiple pages to impress me, you're not very impressive.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Considering spaced cowboy's comment, is it kosher to omit job locations?

And should I keep irrelevant jobs like manager at Sodexo (plus data entry, manager at Checkers, bell hop, teller, etc.) off my resume or should I fear the white space?

Comment

Working...
                                X