Your gun laws are a mistake: National Rifle Association to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ming View Post
    The culture will have to change... and it doesn't seem to be happening with enough people. Too many idiots think it's their god given right to own an automatic weapon...
    This is the crux of it: we have a bizarre culture of firearm-entitlement backed up by improbable notions of home invasions and rebel militias resisting the sudden collapse of democracy. The problem here is that much of our god-given right idea comes from the 2nd, and in order to get rid of the 2nd, we'd basically have to get rid of the GGR-idea to generate popular support for axing it. Until then, our slave-whipping, woman-disenfranchising founding fathers ordained this critter two-hundred-plus years ago, so their judgment must still be infallible. Catch-22.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The Supreme Court could always step in when somebody challenges a gun control law and say that you can only own guns if you're in a militia, which would then limit (legal) firearm ownership to the country's craziest citizens.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

We would need a state to set up an official militia first.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Isn´t the US National Guard some kind of militia-equivalent?
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

National -> run by US Army. So, yes and no. A State run militia would eliminate that 2nd Amendment loophole.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
              Time to invade Australia and bring gun freedoms to the oppressed population. They don't have any guns so it should be easy.
              Nah we just hid them
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Americans are the only ones ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

True, though a minor problem - all american zombies wll be heavily armed
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes but their aim is atrocious. It's all the lurching.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      The problem with gun control at this point is that it's really too late.
                      This is the real problem America is grappling with - and I really feel for you all on that. No easy answers at all.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Americans are the only ones ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.
                        And my office - I put zombie apocalypse in our crisis contingency plan - just to see if anyone in HQ would notice

Comment

Outstanding!
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                            And my office - I put zombie apocalypse in our crisis contingency plan - just to see if anyone in HQ would notice
                            When was this? Did anyone notice?

Comment

Nobody noticed - which says it all really about these plans like OH&S and the Fire Plan that management people have to produce or sign off on. I spend as little time on them as possible.

Comment

So, how long has it been?

Comment

Working...
                                X