STILL ALIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STILL ALIVE!

Yeah... Forgot to check in. So I was cleared on the 2nd of June. Nothing.

Now I am doing a charity walk that I set up, walking from Turku to Oulu. I got my tent and everything with me, no support troops. I have walked over 100 miles now and about 300 to go. My legs are busted up bad already. Blisters are not a problem, it´s everything else. I thought this would be like and adventure and I was right; an adventure of pain and torture.

But hey check it out! It is on https://www.facebook.com/pekkakavelee (Pekka walks basically). Maybe when I get to my goal, I have lost my damn chemo fat. Unless I break my legs first. Come and like the page, share it if you want to, it is for cancer research.

It is in Finnish but there are pics and random videos, plus we are about to launch a cool web service where you can see in realtime (on a map) where I am going and I keep tagging stuff on the nmap, so it´s like NSA stuff.

If this works, I will walk next summer to Santiago De Compostella, and then maybe I will come to US and walk some cool trails. Who knows, but I need to do this one first.

Hope you are all doing great. I am OK but my legs are killing me.Oh, also I spent almost 3 weeks in Oregon!!! It was so great I decided to buy a house there. Figuring out finances ATM.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Good news dude.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Amazing news Pekka!

Me and the wife have a visit to Europe pending (a friend of ours got married to a french guy and they have had a daughter recently, so we need to visit), so keep us posted on the Santiago trip, I will definitely try to walk with you for a while!
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Always great to hear good news from the super-citizen.

Congrats
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good to see you are still alive. You need to build up over time.

BTW, your toes look nasty.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
            Good to see you are still alive. You need to build up over time.

BTW, your toes look nasty.
            hahaha, my toes are the best part!! Just some coloring, only one nail off... I wish the nail on my left big toe would come off soon, there is skin bulging and it is creatingi quite some pressure. BUt my toes are OK. I have huge blisters under my feet, those hurt when walking, and my heels are messed up. Nothing serious... Just from 200km march... but my backbag weights too much, I carry everything alone, tent, sleeping bag, one set of clothes (that I am not wearing), medi kit, water, food, everything. I want to lose my rain pants, they weigh a lot and I have a rain cape so my legs can get a bit wet, so what. Point being, it weighs a lot, like probably 40kg when I leave with water full. The problem is not even that, but the speed I keep. I have advanced like 40km per day. It is way too much and my body is feeling it now. I have to take 2 days totally off and start slowly day over tomorrow again and drop down to... 30km a day and leave something off of my back.

but seriously, my toes are fine. Everything else is the problem. Fortunately I can stretch and just sit on my butt for a while now. Lay on a real bed. Feels pretty amazing. Take showers.

n35tor, of course! You know I cannot shut up about it when it comes about.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Being alive beats the alternative.

I admire your determination to really live by doing what you always wanted to do and what other people only dream of. That is quite an accomplishment but I still expect pictures of the Super Citizen while on his journey to be posted.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

great to hear pekka.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Wonderful news!

...Oregon?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Supercitizen on the march!
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

wonderful news
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        ...Oregon?
                        Compared to Finland, Oregon is almost tropical. Plus house prices there are reasonable compared to the San Francisco Bay Area and there are decent employment opportunities for someone with Pekka's skill set.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Dude, you f'ing rock!
                          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I agree that Pekka's feet need some tender loving care. That one with the black toe nail is...
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That black nail is my favourite! It does not change, it just is. Does not even hurt! The one on the left though, that needs to come off soon or I will puncture it myself. Seriously, the pressure is so bad I can´t fit my sneaker on my left foot. And I need to put my sneakers on for the next 100km because my trekking shoes are killing my ankles. So I would rather risk my knees than my ankles because I can control my knee damage better (I feel it immediately) whereas my ankles I can go on for a day and scream in fear seeing black feet.

Oregon, YES! It is so nice. I know it rains, but it rains a lot in here too, except we never get sun, and the snow seems like history as well so it is just dark, cold and wet. And windy. This summer, just rain rain and rain. And yeah the houses were very reasonably priced. My house goes for 400k euros. I will not sell it though because I cannot get a better loan, I do not pay margin so it is really cheap. Heating, electricity, garbage, internet and everything is 200 euros per month so I pay 1200 a month for a big house. The biggest deal for me with Oregon (and probably US) is the people. It is diverse, open and social. You might say yeah wait until the honeymoon is over but be here for a few years and you know what I mean. It is so easy to talk to people in Portland, so much things to do and see, so much possibilities to do outdoor sports, hey, when I got to TSA I wondered what the big deal is, this si everyday Finland with the exception that these guys are a bit older and courteous. I get it that they might not be so nice at other places. Maybe Portland is an exception but I will take that. Hiking, fishing, Mt. Hood, Pacific Ocean... I do not need any more reasons. I live in a dark, bottomless frozen hell where everything is more expensive and the people most often suck.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X