No announcement yet.

The Ashes: Let's get the party started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually cricket was the one genuinely classless game. Absolutely every other team sport in England was segregated- some being toff's games while others were for the serfs. But cricket, famously, wasn't. The old saying went "On the cricket field, if nowhere else, all men in the island are equal".
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      Their primitive civilisation has not yet discovered cricket...

Odd the Canadians never took up cricket, too cold perhaps, do they have a summer?

Maybe their summer is too short, poor things...no rugby either.

I like Canadians but not playing our games, which are one of the finest parts of the common heritage, has always made them a bit suspect in the eyes of the other dominions. Do they play netball?

I don't know how you can be British and not play cricket, even the wretched South African Boers manage it.
      Rugby may not be that popular in Canada, but they give a good showing at the World Cup.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Even the US has a team
        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

I think the remaining three tests should be played in Cardiff, seeing as England & Wales won here.
          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

136 all out, jimmy anderson is red hot at the moment.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Is this over yet?
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

it may be for australia quite soon.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Glorious day's cricket. Some green on the pitch, some moisture in the air, and Anderson starts swinging them in like the god of bowlers. This is going to be the perfect antidote to allegations of boring cricket that have hit the series so far.

****ing Lyth.

Comment

When I saw you were happy I knew we had a bad day.

Edgbaston is another hoodoo ground for Australia but no excuses.

I've always been a Jimmy Anderson fan.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• england made a respectable but unspectacular score; it was certainly game on. australia in reply are 92-5. ouch. will we even get to day 3?

Comment

• But Anderson getting injured is bad, bad, bad news. That would probably lose us the series.

On the brighter side, I find having a batsman as good as Moeen at number 8 hilarious. I hope they don't move him up the order, because watching him twatting tiring bowlers around the field is great fun.

Comment

• No, no, good news, but a pity.

Moeen for Lyth?
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• He's not a bad opener, but I'd rather bring in Hildreth- he won't make headlines or centuries, but would rack up 40s doing a solid opener's job.

Comment

• Its funny how the Ashes just crushes careers, especially openers.

Comment

• fair play to australia, that was about as good a recovery as could be expected. however, surely even england can't mess up getting 121 over 2 and a half days.

(famous last words).

Comment

Working...
                                X