Could you become a Catholic Preist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    It's a signal that someone is fanatically devoted to the church and doesn't think for themselves.
    No. It means they are devoted to God. No one is devoted to church.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Thanks Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        No. It means they are devoted to God. No one is devoted to church.
        Are they?
        I wonder how many hours a day a catholic priest things about god ...
        and how many hours about earthly matters ...
        like, masses he has to prepare, administration tasks he has to do for his parish, earthly friends, his housekeeper and so on
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          Are they?
          I wonder how many hours a day a catholic priest things about god ...
          and how many hours about earthly matters ...
          like, masses he has to prepare, administration tasks he has to do for his parish, earthly friends, his housekeeper and so on
          He would likely do those things if he were devoted to God, or not. It's not an indicator. Being a monk is only one interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
            men need to boing.
            that's why catholicism is such a perverted religion.
            so they either become a liar or a pervert
            You are horribly prejudice

Comment

He would likely do those things if he were devoted to God, or not. It's not an indicator. Being a monk is only one interpretation.
              But what makes him different from someone who is "just" devoted to the church (as his earthly employer) then?
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

But what makes him different from someone who is "just" devoted to the church (as his earthly employer) then?
                My point is that if he's just devoted to the Church he will not keep his vow. A lot of people get married. Then a few years down the road they cheat. They never planned to cheat when they got married. But they didn't have true devotion.

Comment

I'm sorry your marriage failed

Comment

My point is that if he's just devoted to the Church he will not keep his vow. A lot of people get married. Then a few years down the road they cheat. They never planned to cheat when they got married. But they didn't have true devotion.
                    But wouldn´t it be the same if a priest were devoted to god (and became priest to spread gods word) but assumed that the church is totally wrong with regards to celibacy (after all Jesus also had married disciples ... and before the 12th century there was no dictate of celibacy upon catholic priests).
                    Wouldn´t this priest be as tempted as a priest who is "just" devoted to the church, to neglect the rules of celibacy?

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                      AFAIK the celibacy rules were put in place so that Bishoprics et al wouldn't become hereditary positions - if you were a naughty bishop with a bunch of illegitimate kids then that was winked at so long as you were fine with your illegitimate kids not being able to inherit your title
                      Yeah. It was a political thing, not a spiritual thing. Honestly I think the rule ought to be revoked, but of course that would make too much sense.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

But wouldn´t it be the same if a priest were devoted to god (and became priest to spread gods word) but assumed that the church is totally wrong with regards to celibacy (after all Jesus also had married disciples ... and before the 12th century there was no dictate of celibacy upon catholic priests).
                        Wouldn´t this priest be as tempted as a priest who is "just" devoted to the church, to neglect the rules of celibacy?
                        I don't know why he would take a vow and not believe in it. That is devotion to God? Why would he become a priest?

Comment

I don't know why he would take a vow and not believe in it. That is devotion to God? Why would he become a priest?
                          Maybe because he believes in god and not in vows

Comment

Maybe because he believes in god and not in vows
                            Ok

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                              AFAIK the celibacy rules were put in place so that Bishoprics et al wouldn't become hereditary positions - if you were a naughty bishop with a bunch of illegitimate kids then that was winked at so long as you were fine with your illegitimate kids not being able to inherit your title
                              yes exactly. not that this stopped a number of bishops, cardinals and popes from advancing their offspring within the church.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                Yeah. It was a political thing, not a spiritual thing. Honestly I think the rule ought to be revoked, but of course that would make too much sense.
                                When they stopped saying the mass in Latin in the late 60's it created a minor schism - I believe the fear is that if the church started allowing married priests, female priests, openly homosexual priests, and so on, then it might collapse.
                                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X