No announcement yet.

Lori has a roommate problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't talk to people you can't resolve these things so it might make you feel uncomfortable but you all need to site down together and settle the debt. Other wise the other guys might just take off and stick the rest of you with the bill. Once that is done settle them each month; add them up and divide it by four. If someone doesn't pay on time then slap them with a pay or quit notice.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Talk to them and explain the situation.

Also, who has to take the blame if the utilities are not paid? (under whose name are they assigned?)

Comment

Yeah, I hope they are not in your name. When they moved in did you require a deposit for any damages or unpaid bills? How much? Figuring out the monthly bills, having it spelled out in the lease or sublease is simply a must. It doesn't matter if doing so makes you uncomfortable this is just part of being an adult especially one who is entering a business arrangement (which is what a sublease is). If someone doesn't hold up their end of the written agreement (I.E. the sublease agreement) then you give them their 30 days notice and post an ad for a new roommate wanted notice on Craigslist.

Comment

$350 eacheck really isn't a large debt so they should be able to come up with it. I mean a week of working part time at McDonald's can earn that much and if they don't have it they can put it on a credit card or borrow from their parents.

Comment

Uh, there's not a sublease or anything. All four roommates are signed onto a single lease with the landlord. Whatever deposit they might have paid went to the landlord. The lease just says it's the tenants' responsibility to pay utilities.

Two of the utilities (gas, electric) are in my name, and they've always been paid on time by me. I really have no idea in whose name the water bill is. It might still be in the previous roommate's name...
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Confronted one just now while he was eating breakfast. This is the one who has actually written me a check before. He was flustered, said he'd been busy with school, and that he'd "go through things" tonight and get back to me.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

one down one to go

Comment

good stuff lori.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I have done harm to people for much less money.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's easy to ignore an email.
                      It's not easy to ignore somebody standing in front of you.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        I have done harm to people for much less money.
                        I sometimes accidentally bump into people.

Comment

I've just come home. The other roommate is here and has the AC set to 67. I should knock on his door and ask him if he's paying for that.

Comment

No, don't do that. Don't mix up issues. Get the payment issue resolved. No reason to antagonize him over his temperature setting, Yet.

Disclaimer: While this post reflects the opinion of the poster, the result may be totally random. As with any internet advice, it could just be wrong.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would absolutely never do that. I never even do that when I'm being an ******* to people I'm comfortable with. In fact, I'm so much of an ******* that if people I'm arguing with try to shift the topic like that, I tell them that's inappropriate and stop talking to them.

Comment

I figured that but the way you worded it made me second guess it.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X