Lori has a roommate problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lori has a roommate problem.

I live in a house with three other roommates, all of whom are strangers to me. There are four utilities we pay for (cable, electricity, gas, water), so the arrangement for the first year that I lived here was that each of us was responsible for one utility, and we periodically settled up between each other. (You might argue that this is a stupid system. I won't disagree, but it was the system I inherited when I moved in.)

Because two previous roommates moved out last year prior to the end of the lease, I came to be responsible for two of the utilities (electricity, gas). Then, come August, two new roommates (who are friends) moved in. For reasons not worth going into (one of them being that I don't talk to people), these two new roommates never took responsibility for paying any of the four utilities. So since August, me and the other legacy roommate have been periodically sending out emails informing the other two roommates what they owe us for utilities.

One of them paid me once a few months ago. One of them has yet to pay me anything. In December, we got an email from our landlord telling us she had gotten a letter from the water company saying we were several months behind on our water bill. (A previous roommate had continued to handle the water bill up until the end of the lease, even though he had moved out earlier. Since I never saw any letters from the water company, I had assumed one of the new roommates had taken over paying the water bill. I was wrong.) Because it had to be paid immediately, I did so then, adding on to what the new roommates owed me.

It's nearing the end of the semester, and people are going their separate ways soon. I suspect that if I don't get the new roommates to pay me what they owe me very soon, I may lose the chance. Another water bill is due at the end of the month. I've sent an email out telling people what they owe me, and also telling them that one of them should pay the water bill since I handled the last one. I've yet to hear a response, which is typical.

So, what am I supposed to do here? How do I get these two schmucks to pay me what they owe me? It's not a huge amount (~$700 between the two of them), but for a poor jobless bum like me, it's more than I'd like to see simply disappear.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I think you're screwed. You should have made them agree to pay their fair share in August.

Comment

Verbalize, dude.

I know it's stressful and it feels like confrontation, but it's really just a conversation.
      It has to happen out loud with all parties present.

Doubtful it will resolve the problem. Doubtful the new roomies have $700 laying around.
      But you'll never know if don't use your words.

You can do this.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Move.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Not really sure how that's a solution, Sloww.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Small claims court

Or judge Judy
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The only recourse at this point is breaking fingers, so I would just let go.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

talk to them. explain the situation.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                  Small claims court

Or judge Judy
                  That seems like a last resort. And I know a lot of people will say that $700 is not worth going to court over.

Re: talking to them. Yeah, I'm bad at talking to people, bad at confrontation. The thing for me is, I'm terrified of being an *******. I don't know how to approach these situations in a way that finds a happy medium between not saying anything at all and threatening to shut off all the utilities and sue them. More specifically, I get that I should say something like, "Hey guys, when do you think you'll be able to get me your share of the utilities?" But then in my mind I keep following the conversation and it escalates rapidly if they don't say something like, "Oh, here's a check right now."

Comment

Since you've already "sent emails," your roomies are expecting, even waiting for this conversation. Especially if they are not responding.

You cannot be cast as an ******* for this, but you CAN end up footing a big bill you can't afford. Worse, you could end up with a bad credit history and have trouble getting utilities under your name in the future if something goes unpaid (like that ignored water bill).

Stop imagining conversations and start having them.
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Embrace your inner *******, Lori.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

At least if you talk to them you'll either get a response or be able to tell from body language just where they stand on the issue.

Not that I ever would have screwed roommates like this, but if a roommate had sent me an email, I would know that they were non confrontational and wouldn't do anything so I could do whatever I want.

You can have the discussion without accusing or demanding. Just state the facts that utilities will be shutting down if no one picks up the slack. That you covered in the interim on a few but money is running out and it's time to pay. Don't get emotional, (since that will have no impact on anything)
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                          Embrace your inner *******, Lori.
                          I wish I could. It's there, but I'm simply unable to release it on strangers. You can ask my brothers, parents, friends, and ex-girlfriends if you need confirmation that my inner ******* is very real.

Comment

This isn't an assertiveness test; it's just daily life.
                            These aren't strangers; they are housemates.
                            And you don't have to be an *******.

A simple statement of the facts and a request to do what's already been agreed is not exactly controversial stuff.

Geez, man up just a little.

Comment

Stop being selfish; share your inner ******* with the world!
                              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                              X