Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    No.

If I solve a difficult math problem in 10 minutes instead of 20 minutes, I feel the same sense of accomplishment.
    No, you actually don't. Unless you happen to have a brain wired in a different way to the massive majority of normal humans.

If you make me solve a 10 minute math problem twice so that it takes me 20 minutes, that's not increasing the reward.
    No ****.

Comment

The problem with E: D isn't the number of different things to nominally do, it's that the process of doing them is full of pointless tedium like docking and struggling with the jump system. Have you ever played Axis and Allies? Those of you that have--would axis and allies be less fun if setting up the board didn't take so damn long?

There's also the fact that I get this strong feeling of "OK, I've done it once. Why would I want to do it again?" Getting a better ship doesn't fundamentally change much about how you can play the game, as far as I can tell--it just lets you move your score numbers faster.
      This may be the actual difference on why this game makes sense for me and not for you.

I can tell the difference on how each ship is flying for example, which includes everything, docking, fighting, SC movements etc - I actually find that interesting, does it glide, roll/yaw turn rates, acceleration etc... I guess you do not, and if you don't it is probably not a game for you.

Not that there are no other things to do, ie faction leveling up. Sure you get missions, which may be go from A to B/smuggle something/kill 6 pirates/assassinate an elite Anaconda, but they all include flying in a spaceship (docking, jumping into SC/other systems) and so on in every single case... so if moving around is tedious, looking at different stars and solar systems as you move along is not exciting, it's a bit like going around in Skyrim while you find the environment dull - kills the whole point of the game.

I find it fun though.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I want something to replace Freelancer, but $60 seems absurd right now, especially for a game I'd rather play solo offline that doesn't have much of a storyline at the moment.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          I want something to replace Freelancer, but $60 seems absurd right now, especially for a game I'd rather play solo offline that doesn't have much of a storyline at the moment.
          I did too, and that's why I got this game--but it doesn't fit the bill, unfortunately. Very disappointing.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I did too, and that's why I got this game--but it doesn't fit the bill, unfortunately. Very disappointing.

Starpoint Gemini 2 is... pretty good. Story line is borderline incoherent, but a fun romp nonetheless, and it's affordable.

I suppose, eventually, we'll discover if the SP aspect of Star Citizen is any good.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm getting a bit pessimistic on Star Citizen. It's way too ambitious, and panders way too hard to the hardcore space sim crowd, who don't seem to really understand what actually makes games fun.

Fingers crossed though. I'd really like it to be good.

I'll give Starpoint Gemini 2 a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

I gave it a try and I couldn't get past the awful voice acting. I didn't give it much of a chance to grow on me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                  Those games can be an amazing simulation of being a long-distance lorry driver, with all the tedium that entails.
                  One of my sons does flight sims in real time, to each his own.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Introduce him to hallucinogens and prostitutes.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

In all my hundreds of flight sim hours I'm pretty sure I never actually flew from one city to another, or even one airport to another, unless the airports were in the same city (LaGuardia to JFK for instance). I only ever did landings and takeoffs under different kinds of weather conditions and using different airplanes. You know, the part of flying that isn't just watching time tick by.

Comment

i've never played a flight sim but i did spend 100s of hours playing frontier:elite 2 and first encounters.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Some kids played sports or learned a musical instrument in elementary and middle school. I learned to write programs, build computers and fly planes.

Comment

I'm getting a bit pessimistic on Star Citizen. It's way too ambitious, and panders way too hard to the hardcore space sim crowd, who don't seem to really understand what actually makes games fun.

Fingers crossed though. I'd really like it to be good.

I'll give Starpoint Gemini 2 a try. Thanks for the recommendation.
                            It is definitely ambitious but the team does have experienced game d3signers leading it up, it does have a big design team with clearly broken out areas of responsibility, it is being play tested more than any game I can remember, and most importantly it has a massive $75 million budget with no publisher who can demand it get pushed out the door ready or not. Due to crowd funding it is being self published which eliminates one of the biggest restraints on designers and creative talent.

Even so I am sure it will still have bugs at launch and it will probably take an expansion pack or two before it is really polished, but, god damn, if it doesn't look truly epic is both size and scope.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                              i've never played a flight sim but i did spend 100s of hours playing frontier:elite 2 and first encounters.
                              How? Was elite 2 ever fixed and a patch got out?
                              I remember crushing on planets half of the times I did time acceleration and had the autopilot on.

Comment

i can't remember if there was a patch or not. i was playing it on my amiga so perhaps that version was less buggy. first encounters i played on the pc and that worked fine, even if the game itself was somewhat incomplete.
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X