No announcement yet.

He is risen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So glad the ignore feature now works on quotes.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      I think the latest evidence is that this isn't the case. It's been a while, so I could be wrong, but the universe isn't expected to collapse in on itself.
      Yes. Since the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe in 1998, it does not appear that the universe will ever collapse back in on itself. This could be wrong, though, because scientists don't have a good handle on the mechanism by which this acceleration is occurring (dark energy), and some hypotheses allow for that mechanism to end/reverse.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        No, I don't think evolutionary responses are sufficient reasons in other cases, either.
        For instance? Are you saying you're moving towards some kind of supernatural thought?

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          I think the latest evidence is that this isn't the case. It's been a while, so I could be wrong, but the universe isn't expected to collapse in on itself.
          I think we basically just don't know. I remember reading about radiation traces that seem to predate the big bang though, which would seem to point more towards a cyclic nature. I think it appeals to me too because it seems like a more fitting way for eternity to work, despite how unfathomable the concept still is of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            There's plenty else I do to stave off nihilism. See all my whiny posts about how I haven't had sex recently.
            Yeah, but if you stopped over-thinking about your universe-consuming cult, you'd have more time to over-think about ways to actually get sex.

Have you boned that girl out of your reading group thingy yet?

Actually, I think your mind has evolved to the extent that it has become an evolutionary hindrance...
            "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
              Or you could go really out there and think that if all matter in universe came from a single point, and will one day return to one, then we're all just parts of a giant cosmic cycle where we are forever parts of the same whole.
              That's wild speculation. I don't understand the motivation for it unless its just spite.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• From a person that believes in a supernatural being.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                  Why? Seems like a total waste of time to me. Especially when you get to the inevitable conclusion that there is no divine being, or beings.

Me, I prefer indulging in my evolutionarily programmed responses...
                  What makes you think that your beliefs are true?

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                    From a person that believes in a supernatural being.
                    Same question

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Since there is no proof, I think people are entitled to believe whatever they want.

You have no monopoly on 'TRUTH'
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                        That's wild speculation. I don't understand the motivation for it unless its just spite.
                        In what way would believing that be spiteful?

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          In what way would believing that be spiteful?
                          Because you are resentful of the greatness of individuals.

Comment

Since there is no proof, I think people are entitled to believe whatever they want.

You have no monopoly on 'TRUTH'
                            Since you've expressed bigotry you should explain why you think your beliefs are superior to mine. Then I will counter.

Comment

• I never said they were superior just different.

And that's the biggest difference.
                              I believe somewhat different than you. But since there's no proof either way, while I believe differently I don't totally discount what you believe. There may be a god.
                              You believe somewhat different than me. But you're not willing to believe that there may not be god.

Which one of us appears more open minded here?
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I never said they were superior just different.

And that's the biggest difference.
                                I believe somewhat different than you. But since there's no proof either way, while I believe differently I don't totally discount what you believe. There may be a god.
                                You believe somewhat different than me. But you're not willing to believe that there may not be god.

Which one of us appears more open minded here?
                                I'm questioning his motivation. Do you question mine? Why would you say what you said?

Comment

Working...
                                X