• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
    So the entire surviving family then?
    Spoiler:
    There are at least 3 alive
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      Spoiler:
      There are at least 3 alive
      Spoiler:

I count four: Bran, the little brother, Arya and Sansa.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Hence, "at least". There also may be more.

Spoiler:
        Rickon, the "little brother", is rumored to be on Skagos, where the cannibals live. No telling if he's alive or dead at this point
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Given the screwiness of a world where seasons vary wildly and essentially a small ice age hits every decade or so, the permanently medieval aspect is actually rather understandable. Strictly speaking, it's not credible that life can survive in such a hellish place at all. How can a plant store up energy for a winter that arrives at random intervals and lasts for an unknown duration? How can any lifeform plan around such insanity?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Given the screwiness of a world where seasons vary wildly and essentially a small ice age hits every decade or so, the permanently medieval aspect is actually rather understandable. Strictly speaking, it's not credible that life can survive in such a hellish place at all. How can a plant store up energy for a winter that arrives at random intervals and lasts for an unknown duration? How can any lifeform plan around such insanity?
            Luckily, seeds and spores can survive for years until conditions are right and then sprout. Briny shrimp can last many years waiting for water. Even some larger hibernating species can survive a few years.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              I have seen people argue the SW universe has reached a technological saturation point.
              An interesting idea which would explain the lack of progress but I don't believe there is such a point where people just throw their hands up and say "well, I guess everything has all been done before, we couldn't ever improve anything, and there is absolutely no new ways to recombine old ideas or approach old problems in a new way."
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The whole seasons lasting for years thing is interesting and different but ultimately unrealistic. I bet there would be some interesting biology on such a planet if one did exist though.

Comment

• The planet would probably have some strange Milankovitch cycles.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Oh come now, you made that word up.

Don't you try that stuff. We're not impressed.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      The fantasy cliche he uses which bugs me the most is how technology gets stalled for an unreasonably long period of time. Star Wars does the same thing. Thousands of years go by but nothing new is ever invented, not much seems to change, and it is the same families with the same lands, in the same castles give or take a few minor details.
                      They're playing in Marathon Mode, I expect.

Comment

• I wanted to write a Harry Potter sequel where Harry's great grandson attends a muggle school where--thanks to advancements in muggle technology and the obvious stagnation of the wizarding world--is more amazing than Hogwarts.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Both reports suggest that "The Winds of Winter" is expected to be finished before the end of the year and that it will release very early in 2016.

Winds of Winter, the next Game of Thrones book and the second to last one in the series is reportedly now at the publisher and copies are being printed as we speak. The book will officially be released this month! :happy:

Comment

• I am funding conflicting dates some saying late Oct while that link says early Jan 2016. It also says the next season of Got tv show has been pushed back several months in order to give GRRM time to publish the new book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              http://www.australianetworknews.com/...ng-soon-begin/

I am funding conflicting dates some saying late Oct while that link says early Jan 2016. It also says the next season of Got tv show has been pushed back several months in order to give GRRM time to publish the new book.
                              Late October seems unlikely.
                              "

Comment

• Amazon doesn't even have a pre-order page for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X