Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia gives Knighthood to Prince Philip - er, ... A Prince Philip appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
    I'm one of those 3/4 who think the little parasite will accede to the throne. However....

1- That doesn't mean to say the role of the throne will be unchanged, and...

2- That's not a seal of approval. I'm pretty sure I'll get hemorrhoids one day, but I'm not putting up bunting in anticipation.
    You seem to have conveniently ignored the latter part which showed 66% thinking we're better off as a monarchy and only 17% wanting a republic. I assume that you're fully in favour of keeping the monarchy now given democracy and all that right?

Comment

• I'd be perfectly happy to go with thse democratic votes- if they happen at least every five years and have other candidates standing.

How about you?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• I think you probably need to read up again on how monarchy works. Or when people democratically decide they want a constitutional monarchy, is that not democratic? So tricky..

Comment

Nope. South-West. Cider, tractors and mining country.
          Oh well - I thought the war of the roses was about to reignite.

Kentonio strikes me as a home counties gent, probably wrong there too.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            I think you probably need to read up again on how monarchy works. Or when people democratically decide they want a constitutional monarchy, is that not democratic? So tricky..

If you genuinely believe the people want, and will continue to want, the Monarchy to remain in place, you have nothing to fear from democratic process. It would give a clear mandate, clear accountability, and would probably act as incentive to run the monarchy more efficiently- thus reducing the tax burden.

It's a win/win situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
              Oh well - I thought the war of the roses was about to reignite.

Kentonio strikes me as a home counties gent, probably wrong there too.
              I think he's from flat cap coal miners country in the northern north.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If you genuinely believe the people want, and will continue to want, the Monarchy to remain in place, you have nothing to fear from democratic process. It would give a clear mandate, clear accountability, and would probably act as incentive to run the monarchy more efficiently- thus reducing the tax burden.

It's a win/win situation.
                Ah, so when people say they want the monarchy to continue as it is now, you have the right to tell them it has to be something different. Because your principles are more important than theirs, right?

Comment

• Yeah for some reason I've always assumed Kentonio was from Newcastle or something but I have no idea if it's true.

Comment

• You assumed incorrectly, I just lived there for a while.

Comment

• Alan Shearer
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Comment

• Are you a Yorkshireman?
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            Ah, so when people say they want the monarchy to continue as it is now, you have the right to tell them it has to be something different. Because your principles are more important than theirs, right?
                            My principles are letting the people decide in a democratic process. An opinion poll in a newspaper isn't democratic process.

Comment

• It's also worth considering that your opinion poll suggests only 42% consider the £36.10 million annual sovereign grant to be good value for money. Given a more detailed examination of royal funding, as we've had in this thread and would have in a real democratic debate, I suspect that number wouldn't be rising.

It's also worth considering that a majority in that poll don't want Prince Charles as the next monarch.

Comment

It's also worth considering that your opinion poll suggests only 42% consider the £36.10 million annual sovereign grant to be good value for money. Given a more detailed examination of royal funding, as we've had in this thread and would have in a real democratic debate, I suspect that number wouldn't be rising.

It's also worth considering that a majority in that poll don't want Prince Charles as the next monarch.
                                What interesting to me about your reaction to the poll, is that trying to make constitutional changes at a time when the public appetite doesn't call for any such changes suggests an 'I know better than the proles' attitude. Not that I disapprove of that, I feel much the same way, but it's somewhat comic trying to reconcile that with a determination that people will get more democracy whether they like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X