The Impossibility of Growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    Each of those steps requires us to work out solutions to problems that are currently beyond our technological capabilities. There's going to come a point where we hit one of these problems and find there actually isn't a solution. Travel beyond the solar system may well be that step.
    It might be, but I doubt it.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• The garbage patch in the Pacific is certainly not a few dozen meters deep. The plastic isn't even visible to the naked eye for the most part. There's only about 5kg of plastic for every square kilometer (NB that's a unit for measuring area). So it's less of a giant island of trash and more like a slightly higher concentration of plastic particles in a part of a giant ocean.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by AAAAAAAAH! View Post
        I'm not retarded... you just can't write clearly. Assuming you mean "2000km in diameter" (seriously WTF is a "2000km ellipse" supposed to be?) and "a few dozen meters" is 36 meters then we have ~133 thousand cubic km of volume (assuming the ellipse is close to a circle in shape), in an ocean that is 660 million cubic km in size. Oh ****, .02% of the Pacific contains garbage? OHHHHHH MYYYY GODDDDDD!!!!!!!!
        Another additional point: he's failed to provide the density of the garbage patch. There is not a 2000 km diameter, 36 meter deep elliptical (with an unknown eccentricity, apparently) landfill in the Pacific ocean.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm not retarded... you just can't write clearly. Assuming you mean "2000km in diameter" (seriously WTF is a "2000km ellipse" supposed to be?) and "a few dozen meters" is 36 meters then we have ~133 thousand cubic km of volume (assuming the ellipse is close to a circle in shape), in an ocean that is 660 million cubic km in size. Oh ****, .02% of the Pacific contains garbage? OHHHHHH MYYYY GODDDDDD!!!!!!!!
          So predictable.

It takes a few particles per million to destroy an ecosystem. Welcome to reality and science!
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
            I stick to the facts
            When you actually have a fact to share with us, I would welcome it.

You're like the leftist version of reg.

"I say it" = fact
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.

Comment

So predictable.

It takes a few particles per million to destroy an ecosystem. Welcome to reality and science!
                A few particles per million of what? Are we assuming everything has this toxicity or just everything that's man-made?

Comment

• People, you're posting too quickly. Felch copied my post before I even made it, and then when I posted in retaliation, there were already more posts!

Comment

• AAAH probably thinks it takes 200 pounds of alcohol to intoxicate a 200-pound man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      People, you're posting too quickly. Felch copied my post before I even made it, and then when I posted in retaliation, there were already more posts!
                      Agree.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A few particles per million of what? Are we assuming everything has this toxicity or just everything that's man-made?
                        Look it up, the coverage is out there.

Comment

Look it up, the coverage is out there.
                          The onus is on you to provide proof. Not for others to do your research for you.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Also, if we're talking about toxins present in the ocean at any level, then the entire ocean is contaminated and we're already dead. Which means that we're just a bunch of zombies communicating over the internet, and we need to stop RIGHT NOW and go eat some delicious braaaaaaaaaains!
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

AAAH probably thinks it takes 200 pounds of alcohol to intoxicate a 200-pound man.
                              No, obviously it only takes a few parts per million for him to die of alcohol poisoning. Look it up, the FACTS are out there!

Comment

• OP:

Statements of the bleeding obvious, the outcomes of basic arithmetic, are treated as exotic and unpardonable distractions, while the impossible proposition by which we live is regarded as so sane and normal and unremarkable that it isn’t worthy of mention. That’s how you measure the depth of this problem: by our inability even to discuss it.

QED

Comment

Working...
                                X