Important donut question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    I was wondering if a planet in a binary star system could "switch" stars. Seems it's possible, but not stable. I think such a scenario would make an interesting setting for a story.
    Check out Bowl of Heaven.
    Starting premise Earth start out as a binary system and Ancient Earthlings used the second sun to travel the universe. Yes, it takes a lot of believing.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      The article in question.

The first challenge to overcome is forming a planet in the first place.
      Yeah, a couple of things I read said circumbinary planets don't form that way but migrate into the situation.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm testing out the switcheroo in my gravity simulator now. During the first close approach, the planet survived and continued with its parent star but with a highly elliptical orbit. During the second close approach, its parent ate it.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Got it to switch on the first close approach. Got ejected on the second.

Comment

Now I want to eat a planet.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Now I want to eat a planet.
              Snack on Planet Hollywood.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I have a question about circumbinary planets. So you have two stars orbiting each other, normally smaller stars who's individual orbits of each other (or rather their mutual center of gravity), and planets can (obviously) only form outside of the orbit of those two stars. Would such planets have strange orbits (I.E. a really elongated ellipse) or maybe even a slightly perturbed orbit depending upon where each star was at any given time? Like maybe the two stars were playing tug a war with it? Also is it even theoretically possible that such a planet could be rocky (rather than gaseous) and be in the habitable zone?

If it is possible then it might make a really cool fantasy world setting.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The answer is there's no simple solution to what a circumbinary planet's orbit is going to look like. If the planet is far enough away from its two parent stars, it treats them like a point mass and would have a fairly ordinary orbit, perhaps eccentric. The closer in the planet gets, the less stable its orbit becomes.

Configurations that aren't ellipsoid are in general not going to be very stable. That much can be said to be true just based on an anthropic principle. After four and a half billion years, we pretty much only see elliptical orbits in the solar system, yet there were probably pieces of matter doing some very strange things in the early periods. As far as why this is true (and why it isn't in the case of the exceptions that do exist), I don't have the math to know (except that I understand why Newton's gravity creates elliptical orbits). Perturbation theory holds the answers, I believe.

Comment

And yes, the planet could probably be rocky and in the habitable zone, but we're still not very good at detecting those types of planets, so it's hard to say what the frequency might be.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
                      Sorry. Beer is proof that God exists and that he wishes us to be happy.
                      God made weed. Man made beer.

Who do you trust?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        God made weed. Man made beer.

Who do you trust?
                        In some ancient civilizations, women made the beer.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You didn't help beer's case.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You didn't help beer's case.
                            Men saw it, drank it, and came back for refills.

M'Lud, defence rests.

Comment

General Ludd
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

General Ludd
                                Ned Ludd.

Noye's Fludd.

The Bludy Serk.

Erm, yeah...

Comment

Working...
                                X