Hotels in Sochi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    More like, he's totally wrong and nobody needs to learn Spanish to live in Arizona or New Mexico (meanwhile Spanish speakers invariably eventually learn English).
    Isn't Spanish an integral part of their culture?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Yeah no, it's not okay to just uproot people from their homes so the borders are tidy. That's not a thing that's acceptable anymore.
      While I agree with you, make sure you don't choke on the hypocrisy of your post, IDF fanboi.
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
        I guess? Hispanics all eventually learn English though and integrate into our society. That's what happens with all immigrants. Usually by the third generation even the trace of accent is gone.

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
        While I agree with you, make sure you don't choke on the hypocrisy of your post, IDF fanboi.
        That hasn't really happened since the 1948 war, and it wasn't a good thing that it happened then. I don't defend that. However, now that Israelis and Palestinians live where they do, resettling either of the two groups at this point is stupid (just like I'm not about to insist that the Germans get to reoccupy Konigsberg/Kaliningrad, or that the Finns get Vyborg back)

Comment

I'd say yes but the American cultural juggernaut is excellent at assimilating immigrants so that by the time their grandkids are of age they only speak English, watch the same media as all the other Americans, dress the same as everyone else, and generally are as vain and simple minded as everyone else. It's sad but true. American culture is an assimilating machine like the borg and best of all everyone does it of their own free will without being forced just because it is unavoidable if they want to get a job or earn a living but they make doing so seem so attractive with so many benefits everyone happily agrees to it.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            I'd say yes but the American cultural juggernaut is excellent at assimilating immigrants so that by the time their grandkids are of age they only speak English, watch the same media as all the other Americans, dress the same as everyone else, and generally are as vain and simple minded as everyone else. It's sad but true. American culture is an assimilating machine like the borg and best of all everyone does it of their own free will without being forced just because it is unavoidable if they want to get a job or earn a living but they make doing so seem so attractive with so many benefits everyone happily agrees to it.
            Precisely. And there's no such culture in Europe, so there's no chance of homogenizing European cultures and turning them into fast food cuisine and days to get drunk on.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I'd say yes but the American cultural juggernaut is excellent at assimilating immigrants so that by the time their grandkids are of age they only speak English, watch the same media as all the other Americans, dress the same as everyone else, and generally are as vain and simple minded as everyone else. It's sad but true.
              Tell that to residents of China towns.
              American culture is an assimilating machine like the borg
              RIGHT!!!
              Borgs you are!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheney_and_Bush_Borg2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	9100256

Comment

It's certainly not okay to force the Palestinians to move to another Arab country just because the Israelis won't stop ****ing killing them for no reason, their "cultural homeland" be damned, they don't live there anymore.
                Agree.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Precisely. And there's no such culture in Europe, so there's no chance of homogenizing European cultures and turning them into fast food cuisine and days to get drunk on.
                  To be fair, Europeans have lots of days to get drunk on and the non-Irish parts of Europe were happy for an excuse to get drunk on another day. Hell, even here in the US Cinco de Mayo is pretty much the Mexican Saint Patrick's Day even though back in Mexico it wasn't a big holiday and just celebrated the Mexican defeat of the French invasion in the 1860's. Yet in the US Mexican immigrants noticed there wasn't a "Mexican" cultural holiday in the US so they pushed it and everyone from the bar owners, to the drinks makers, to individuals themselves (who just wanted an excuse to get drunk) happily embraced it and now it has even been re-exported back to Mexico where it is now popular for the first time ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb View Post

RIGHT!!!
                    Borgs you are!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]175368[/ATTACH]
                    I like how Serb rages against American culture but when I make an obscure cultural reference to an old American TV show he still knows exactly what I'm talking about! It seems the all pervasive American culture has even reached darkest Siberia.

Comment

I like how Serb rages against American culture but when I make an obscure cultural reference to an old American TV show he still knows exactly what I'm talking about! It seems the all pervasive American culture has even reached darkest Siberia.
                      The only thing he has to work with is nesting dolls and 19th Century authors.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• God, I'd have a bitter and angry outlook at the world too if all I had to read was Tolstoy and Turgenev.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb View Post
                          WRT to China Towns, which are mostly a 19th century invention, show me 3rd generation Chinese immigrants who aren't highly, if not fully, assimilated. Seriously, yes, in the 19th century US culture specifically excluded non-whites (even into the 20th century) but they've opened up since the 1960's and now you'll find Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Arabs, Africans, Latin Americans... They all immigrate and they all fall into the exact same pattern where the first generation speak the old language perfectly, the second still speak it but favor English more, while the 3rd don't normally speak it at all. There is a steady progression of cultural assimilation which seems almost unavoidable. Hell, in the 1850's there was a huge out cry with nativists claiming so many Germans were immigrating (and creating their own cultural institutions) that they feared German would become the majority language and that Germans would never fully integrate into American society. Even back in the 19th century the pull of American culture was so strong that without any laws the Germans all got assimilated in a few generations. The same happened for every other group even native groups which actively resisted but in the end economic self interest and just the shear pull of the majority culture won them over. If it doesn't get them it gets their kids and grandkids. It's inexorable like time; fight it all you want the end is the same.

Comment

• Chinese descended people in the US are wealthier and higher placed socially than white people on average, clearly this means they are targets of extensive systemic discrimination

Comment

God, I'd have a bitter and angry outlook at the world too if all I had to read was Tolstoy and Turgenev.
                              I liked reading Tolstoy.

Comment

Chinese descended people in the US are wealthier and higher placed socially than white people on average, clearly this means they are targets of extensive systemic discrimination
                                Racism doesn't exist because Asian Americans have a higher average income and net work than white people.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X