Facebook Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Etiquette

My brother broke up with his girlfriend of five months yesterday. I don't know why, because my brother is pretty private about his love life. In fact, I only found out because his now ex, with whom I'm friends on Facebook, is posting about it. She's also Facebook friends with my parents and, until recently, my other brother.

When my other brother unfriended her, she sent me a message saying, "Are you going to unfriend me too? I rather enjoy reading your blog." An obvious lie, because my blog is boring as hell. Anyway, I haven't answered.

Now she's ranting about my brother on Facebook. She's upset, and that's understandable, and I have no desire to intervene in that. I don't know why they broke up, I don't know who's at fault, and I can't be expected to remain unbiased in the situation. However, there are two comments made by friends of hers that I'm not exactly pleased about. They are:

Sounds like he needs a few failed trust falls. Onto concrete. From the second floor.

and

::hugs:: wow, I don't know what to say...I'm sorry and I hope he steps on a rake...repeatedly.

I know these are just friends offering support, but they're offering support in a way that suggests my brother should suffer physical harm. I really don't think that's cool. So, what should Lori do? What's the proper Facebook etiquette for a situation such as this?
    Do nothing.
    25.00%
    Unfriend the ex.
    31.25%
    Politely suggest that the participants of the conversation not talk about harming my brother.
    6.25%
    Vigorously defend my brother because that's what family does.
    12.50%
    Hook up with the ex.
    6.25%
    Eat a banana for breakfast (already done)
    18.75%
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Hook up with the ex - she likes your blog after all...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
      What's the proper Facebook etiquette for a situation such as this?
      Respond with a cat picture. If that doesn't work, go straight to one of the revenge sites. There is no middle ground.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

What's etiquette got to do with Facebook?
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Tell her on her facebook that every time a friend of hers says something nasty, a panda will die...

Comment

Send her a picture of a b!tch with puppies.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
              What's etiquette got to do with Facebook?
              Good point.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If in doubt, do nothing.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Btw, I'm mostly wondering whether there's any point in me trying to tell people that it's not cool to wish physical harm on my brother.

Comment

Or indeed anyone.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      Btw, I'm mostly wondering whether there's any point in me trying to tell people that it's not cool to wish physical harm on my brother.
                      If they're too stupid to understand that of their own accord then all is lost. Wish them well living under Fraggle Rock.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You also don't owe the girl anything, so just delete her if her rants annoy you.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I wouldn't take that seriously, they're just venting and rallying around their friend. Both of the examples are jokey anyway and don't sound particularly malicious.

You can reply to her message seeing as she's initiated communications, saying you've no intention of defriending her at the moment as you don't know the background to the split (which may elicit an explanation), however that you do find it uncomfortable her friends wishing harm on your brother...

I imagine her response will set the course of your future relationship with her, if any. I.e. is there any point still being friends now anyway? If you think so, at least you can make the point about the comments...

Also, there is do nothing, however she has already messaged you, so in my opinion it is polite to reply and use it for the above opportunity to mention your unease over the situation.

Comment

you could just talk to your brother.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Also true.

Comment

Working...
                              X