Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    Like Ukraine?
    I don't know if "democracy" is really the right term to describe Ukraine....
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      you can but you would lose it
      Lose what? My virginity's been gone since before Nixon resigned.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        I don't know if "democracy" is really the right term to describe Ukraine....
        You mean a mob dictating policy to an elected leader once overthrown by the Orange Revolution who subsequently won election under the government which had overthrown him?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          You mean in a democratic society where the people who want change can vote for it? Which also serves to indicate where your suffragette analogy falls horribly short.
          a democratic society is more than elections.

Those poor Spanish and Italian women.
          well according to this study on women's rights (criteria here) spain ranks 44th, just behind guyana, cyprus and armenia, while italy ranks 59th, just behind uzbekistan and turkmenistan.

There is a difference between reasonable protest and violence.
          yes, but the line is not always so clear.

Actually I'm not being dramatic. Once you accept violence is acceptable in democratic debates, you have started on the path to justifying violent overthrows of democratic governments. Where is your line? And does it make any rational sense?
          well, you're stretching to say that to two things are similar, because you can describe them in a very general way, using the word 'violence' and then making a slippery slope argument. i've pointed out that just because you can describe two things superficially using the same word, that does not make the things themselves similar.

you seem to think that violence is never acceptable, at least within a democratic society and that people can achieve liberation through democratic means. i, on the other hand think that even within a 'democratic' society people can still find themselves oppressed and that sometimes it may be necessary to use violence in order to fight that oppression, as has been the case many times in history. the line, of course, depends on the specific situation and context.

it's just a difference of opinion though, and i don't really see how we can make much progress.
          Last edited by C0ckney; December 16, 2013, 13:57.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
            Very very very big no. The group that you posted about (and which urged believers to 'defend' the cathedral) is pretty small, and I'd bet that they made up less than 5% of the Catholics there. The majority of them were pretty normal (Catholic) people.
            oh ok. the impression i got from dino doc's link was that large numbers from this group were bused in to defend the cathedral. if that's not the case, thanks for the correction.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Violence can sometimes be necessary. The idea that abboortion rights somehow rises to this level given the examples of oppression overcome by MLK, Gandi and others with nonviolence is laughable.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
              X