Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pchang View Post
    There about 500 billionaires in the US.
    If we took 1 billion from each we would have 500 billion. Fed deficit for 2013 was about 680 billion. Not enough to cover the deficit for even 1 year.
    Yup, so it's better to squeeze 5 billion out of people who can barely afford to eat. Deficit reduction!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

One thing does not require the other. But clearly, tax increases alone will not do the job.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

One thing does not require the other. But clearly, tax increases alone will not do the job.
        Back to my point about cutting such things as corporate welfare/subsidies ....
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Exactly...just as cutting corporate welfare won't do the job. We need smart sustainable choices on both taxes and spending.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
            Exactly...just as cutting corporate welfare won't do the job. We need smart sustainable choices on both taxes and spending.
            Agreed. Cutting corporate welfare is not the only solution; we need a multi-faceted approach.

What about cuts in certain areas, alongside a rise in tax rate for the wealthy and corporations?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Yes. We just need to get the combined total to around 700 billion or so.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
              X