Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Want to hear a joke? C++ type safety. Ahahahaha
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Java is a pretty well designed language already.
      U of C
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Also Asher I didn't think 2013 was out yet, just in some sort of beta?

By the way, also awesome: C# and F#, and in particular the way you can have both C# and F# in the same program
        2013 is in preview.

And that's not a trait of C# and F# - that's kind of the entire point of .NET. Your languages compile to MSIL which run in the CLR, and then it doesn't matter what language they were written in.

If you're decently skilled, you can do this with any language. The program I'm the lead for has C++, C#, Ruby, and Javascript all in the same program interacting with eachother (on Mac, replace C# with Objective-C).

Comment

What's your point, Asher? Yes, it's a trait of .NET. That was my point. .NET has really good interop. Interop is the only reason F# is tolerable, and lack of interop is why OCaml is a pointless, stupid language. Yes you can do interop in other ways with disparate languages but it's a pain in the ass and causes problems.

Also ruby sucks massive dick. It's horrible. And Rails is an abomination.

Objective-C
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

At some point I'm going to need to learn how to program again. Unless all these whacky languages you guys are talking about are just QBasic by a different name.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What's your point, Asher? Yes, it's a trait of .NET. That was my point. .NET has really good interop. Interop is the only reason F# is tolerable, and lack of interop is why OCaml is a pointless, stupid language. Yes you can do interop in other ways with disparate languages but it's a pain in the ass and causes problems.

Also ruby sucks massive dick. It's horrible. And Rails is an abomination.

Objective-C
              I used to love .NET. You can probably still find many of my posts raving about it going back a decade.

I now am not a fan. I don't hate it, but I've run into so many ****ing bugs with the CLR and .NET libraries and gotchas with interop that it's on my ****list for future implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                I used to love .NET. You can probably still find many of my posts raving about it going back a decade.

I now am not a fan. I don't hate it, but I've run into so many ****ing bugs with the CLR and .NET libraries and gotchas with interop that it's on my ****list for future implementations.
                Hm. What sort of bugs? And I can't think of any system that does interop better than .NET at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  U of C
                  Carnegie Mellon University

Also Sun Micro

Comment

Hm. What sort of bugs? And I can't think of any system that does interop better than .NET at the very least.
                    A ton of layout bugs with WPF (not .NET specific, granted).
                    With interop we have a TON of issues with activation contexts being mismanaged resulting in crashes. Specifically when using pinvoke and COM. They're all seemingly random issues that are impossible to reliably reproduce and MS' dev support was of no help.
                    I also can't remember the bizarre issue we had with v4 of the CLR (fixed in 4.5) but it took ****loads of dev time to figure out then work around.

Comment

Carnegie Mellon University

Also Sun Micro
                      RIT invented jQuery

Suck my nuts

Comment

LOL. Javascript...

Comment

It's a better functional language than OCaml, mentioned earlier in the thread.

Perl is the best language obviously.

Comment

There are two types of Javascript programmers: Those that know Javascript, and those that know better.

Comment

You could not be more wrong about that.

Comment

You speak from years of experience with webapp/webOS development?

I've done it myself in the past and my colleagues are trying it now. Using JS to **** around with websites is alright. Using it to write web applications is ****ing retarded if you give a **** at all about performance and memory usage. Which, as it turns out, people care about when running on ****ty ARM processors and 256MB of RAM.

A good read: http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-...apps-are-slow/

Comment

Working...
                                X