Thread to document oil disasters as they happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread to document oil disasters as they happen

Post in this thread to comment or to signal a disaster.

8/13/2013

Illinois pipeline blast sends flames 90 metres into air

A fuel pipeline beneath a western Illinois cornfield has exploded, sending flames 90 metres into the sky and prompting dozens of evacuations, fire officials said.

8/05/2013

Toxic cloud of tar sands waste travels from Detroit to Canada

A massive cloud of black dust that swept across the Detroit River into Windsor, Canada this week has been linked to piles of petroleum coke, a by-product of tar sands oil illegally stored in Detroit by Koch Carbon.

8/04/2013

Nobody understands ongoing spills at Alberta oilsands operation

Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. has been unable to stop an underground oil blowout that has killed numerous animals and contaminated a lake, forest, and muskeg at its operations in Cold Lake, Alta.
    Last edited by Fake Boris; August 13, 2013, 14:02.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

[placeholder 1]

Comment

[placeholder 2]

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
        Post in this thread to comment or to signal a disaster.

08/4/2013

Nobody understands ongoing spills at Alberta oilsands operation

Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. has been unable to stop an underground oil blowout that has killed numerous animals and contaminated a lake, forest, and muskeg at its operations in Cold Lake, Alta.
        Do they provide environmental impact statements before going on bombing runs?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

And yet, Oncle Boris presumably still drives cars, rides buses and flies on planes. Let me know when you get a plug-in hybrid 747.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I'd prefer a thread for US mass shootings. It would be busier.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              And yet, Oncle Boris presumably still drives cars, rides buses and flies on planes. Let me know when you get a plug-in hybrid 747.
              Yep, either you don't see any problems with oil usage at all or you want to completely cut off oil consumption.

Comment

I appreciate the exceptionally mature thread icon he chose for this thread.

He's either an idiot or trying to troll. Actually, he's both.

I especially appreciate his attention to detail. For example, the spill was contained four days ago. The cause was a mechanical failure at an old well and it contaminated 13 hectares. It's almost fully cleaned up already.

The most horrifying part of this spill is it happened in the most ecologically insensitive part of the world it could have happened. The well was deep inside a weapons testing range, where cruise missiles and the like have been tested for decades.

The scale of devastation has been unimaginable. The death toll: 6 birds, 7 gophers, and 38 fish.

Far more animals are killed by wind farms each day.
                Last edited by Asher; August 4, 2013, 13:24.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He should be pleased by last week's pipeline announcement.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's of some benefit to Quebec, so of course he will be for the pipes to Montreal, but opposed to them extending to New Brunswick.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm guessing benefit won't matter. Oncle is a nose cutting sort of guy.

Comment

Here's a far more devastating environmental attack.

95% of the fish inside the pond in High Park have been murdered. Hundreds dead. The current theory is algae killed them. ****ing nature - what a vengeful *****.

City cleanup crews were working Saturday to remove hundreds of dead fish found floating in a pond in Toronto’s High Park after what is being described by conservation officials as a die-off.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Murdered

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            The most horrifying part of this spill is it happened in the most ecologically insensitive part of the world it could have happened. The well was deep inside a weapons testing range, where cruise missiles and the like have been tested for decades.

The scale of devastation has been unimaginable. The death toll: 6 birds, 7 gophers, and 38 fish.

Oh, the humanity!
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              I appreciate the exceptionally mature thread icon he chose for this thread.

He's either an idiot or trying to troll. Actually, he's both.

I especially appreciate his attention to detail. For example, the spill was contained four days ago. The cause was a mechanical failure at an old well and it contaminated 13 hectares. It's almost fully cleaned up already.

Oh I'm sure they take care to relocate the beavers and loons before the cratering starts. That's why he's so upset at the oil company's lack of concern.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X