We just bought a Sydney terrace house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
    The balcony looks nice, but I don't like the classical portal to the left.
    I like it It is known as a "folly". After the stiff formality of the Victorian period, the exuberant Edwardians, just before WW1, liked to put little embellishments and decorative or fun features on their property, also a homage to ancient Greece and Rome as you rightly notice. The British thought they were the heirs of classical civilisation.

There is some hint of tragedy in all this because after the slaughter of World War 1, house builders stopped doing this. People were too sad and the optimism of the brief Edwardian period had gone. House designs became sombre and functional, some even mildly tomb-like, dark brick used a lot, which appealed to those who had lost sons in the war and were in mourning...
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; May 25, 2013, 17:36.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

It's not my thing, but anything that isn't soulless suburban junk gets my seal of approval.
      Last edited by Colonâ„¢; May 25, 2013, 22:07.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

btw, we would call that a verandah, not a balcony
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Veranda sounds good to me.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I really don't understand these bots. Are you a real person?

Or are you some slapdick in a third world country who wants to lure unsuspecting westerners to their doom?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why are you being so mean to Colon?
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Awww... the bot/DL got deleted.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Was not deleted.

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
                  Why are you being so mean to Colon?

Comment

I am sure he has something against "the last part of the digestive system in most vertebrates which extracts water and salt from solid wastes before they are eliminated from the body and is the site in which flora-aided (large bacterial) fermentation of unabsorbed material occurs"
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

back home by 22 November folks

Comment

Working...
                      X