No announcement yet.

Don't pick up the snakes in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia's most venomous snake rarely encounters humans,preferring marsupials and European rodents. Australia has 7 out of 10 of the world's most venomous snakes.

Then there's redback spiders and funnelweb spiders. Irukandji Syndrome from jellyfish stings, blue ringed octopuses, deadly poisonous cone shells, the stingray's barb, and even the male duck billed platypus has a poisonous spur on its hind leg. Oh and there's a tree which is like a giant stinging nettle, only worse.

The Lucky Country.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

It is a big mystery why so many venomous animals live in Australia.

I have seen snakes, mostly fleeing from me.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

For a country with supposedly deadly animals, you do seem to face a lot of trouble from fluffy invasive herbivorous rodents.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post

They flee from me that sometime did me seek
          With naked foot, stalking in my chamber.
          I have seen them gentle, tame, and meek,
          That now are wild and do not remember
          That sometime they put themself in danger
          To take bread at my hand; and now they range,
          Busily seeking with a continual change.
          Sir Thomas Wyatt

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

apt, many of them are quite beautiful too, magnificent creatures, only seen when disturbed
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

apt, many of them are quite beautiful too, magnificent creatures, only seen when disturbed

Like when they pop up in schoolchildrens' desks, or your stack of firewood.

I thought you'd appreciate the Thomas Wyatt poem- I watched 'Elizabeth R' with Glenda Jackson & Robert Hardy from the 1970s over the weekend and despite the small cast and limited sets, the story of her reign and the events preceding it were handled very well, including Wyatt's Rebellion against Mary Tudor.

Lots of human snakes in the grass in Tudor courts...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                No. Snakes generally aren't very dangerous when you know where they are and aren't trying to keep from hurting the snake. Agricultural workers doing their jobs, people sleeping on floors, snake handlers ... those are the types of situations where people get bit.

Armed with a 4 or 5 foot stick (or better) and some common sense, killing a snake is pretty straightforward.
                All the same, I'll still leave a snake alone rather than trying to poke it with a stick and hoping it won't attack afterwards. Considering the double-whammy of deadly to non-deadly snakes in Australia and the illegallity of killing native animals, I'm happy with my decision.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  For a country with supposedly deadly animals, you do seem to face a lot of trouble from fluffy invasive herbivorous rodents.
                  Those rabbits are a menace, damnit!
                  A clip from Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail'Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUV7kZQcBo&feature=watch_response
                  "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                    Australia's most venomous snake rarely encounters humans,preferring marsupials and European rodents. Australia has 7 out of 10 of the world's most venomous snakes.

Then there's redback spiders and funnelweb spiders. Irukandji Syndrome from jellyfish stings, blue ringed octopuses, deadly poisonous cone shells, the stingray's barb, and even the male duck billed platypus has a poisonous spur on its hind leg. Oh and there's a tree which is like a giant stinging nettle, only worse.

The Lucky Country.
                    You forgot to mention the deadly drop bear...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

It is a big mystery why so many venomous animals live in Australia.

Ah, angling for sainthood are we?
                      Life and death is a grave matter;
                      all things pass quickly away.
                      Each of you must be completely alert;
                      never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

no they are just shy critters mostly, though some are aggressive and will chase

The worst one is the snake that crawls into your warm sleeping bag at night while you are off having a pee...

Comment

no they are just shy critters mostly, though some are aggressive and will chase

The worst one is the snake that crawls into your warm sleeping bag at night while you are off having a pee...
                          If I'm totally honest, the fricking flies are the creatures that annoyed me the most. The Hebrews were right about Beelzebub.

Comment

since the sheep numbers went down they are in abeyance

Comment

Working...
                            X