Waco Explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    Apology NOT ACCEPTED. I do not view this as a valid pretext for celebration.

You don't have to be a dick all the time

Comment

I just woke up......I have family in Waco but I don't think they are anywhere near West.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	LiveLeak-dot-com-2d8bcb018214-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	9095192

Comment

Who the **** puts a fertilizer plant in close proximity to TWO schools and across the street from a PLAYGROUND?

Jesus ****ing christ.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Who the **** puts a fertilizer plant in close proximity to TWO schools and across the street from a PLAYGROUND?

Jesus ****ing christ.
            Yep, that's pretty dumb thing to do. Wonder who the dumbass is that did the zoning?

Comment

Jesus ****ing christ.
              If I had to guess, it was probably the other way around, which is worse.

Terrible tragedy. Should have never happened.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Apparently, a small fire broke out at the plant, and firefighters came to extinguish it. Water was accidentally sprayed on ammonium nitrate, resulting in an explosion.

EDIT: I'm not the best at chemistry but it's not clear to me why that would cause an explosion, I think ammonium nitrate is just soluble in water, not explosive...
                EDIT 2: Nevermind, it's an endothermic reaction. Which would not cause an explosion...it would just make the building cold...
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Very sad stuff.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How quickly people forget.

The Texas City disaster was the deadliest industrial accident in U.S. history. The incident took place on April 16, 1947, and began with a mid-morning fire on board the French-registered vessel SS Grandcamp which was docked in the Port of Texas City. The fire detonated approximately 2,300 tons of ammonium nitrate and the resulting chain reaction of fires and explosions killed at least 581 people, including all but one member of the Texas City fire department.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	e59b.gif
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	9095193

Last edited by Docfeelgood; April 18, 2013, 10:09.

Comment

Jesus ****ing christ.
                      Texans...

Stuff has a distressing habit of going 'boom' in Texas over the years. Lessons learned and all that...? Nope...?

So, West in the east of the state. Guess they're not too hot on their geography either.
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Industrial accident, not terrorism, I'm sure of that.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Man. First gay marriage caused the explosions in Boston, and now gay marriage also caused another explosion in Texas.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

In a town that small, there are probably no zoning requirements; but as was noted, the plant was probably there first.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              In a town that small, there are probably no zoning requirements; but as was noted, the plant was probably there first.

What does that have to do with gay marriage?
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                Apparently, a small fire broke out at the plant, and firefighters came to extinguish it. Water was accidentally sprayed on ammonium nitrate, resulting in an explosion.

EDIT: I'm not the best at chemistry but it's not clear to me why that would cause an explosion, I think ammonium nitrate is just soluble in water, not explosive...
                                EDIT 2: Nevermind, it's an endothermic reaction. Which would not cause an explosion...it would just make the building cold...
                                My guess is its not the Ammonium Nitrate/water chemical reaction that caused the issue but moreso that water was aborbed into the otherwise inert power form and caused the formation of a Ammonium Nitrate solid cake. Due to it semi-crystaline structure it was susceptible to shock effects and thus detonation wherein an otherwise powder simply dissapates shock vibrations. The change of the physical crystalline state was the precursor, most likely. That and of course the already present ignition source.
                                Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; April 18, 2013, 15:30.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X