Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinner talk. What did you have for dinner today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    A bit of salmon and some ratatouille. I need to figure out something else to do with these vegetables because I seem to be doing the saute in a pan thing a lot and I'd like to mix it up a bit more. That said, I am at least getting more veg these days.

What kind of veggies ? If we're talking capsicums, do the roasting, charring and peeling thing- less chance of irritating the stomach when peppers have their skins removed, and you get that delicious contrast of smokiness and sweetness.

Other stuff you could grill with olive oil and shave some parmesan on the top, or steam or blanch and have them with dukkah and hummus or guacamole... Ooops, starting to feel hungry.

Tonight I'm being good and have having steamed mangetout, broccoli and baby sweetcorn with Vietnamese rice noodles. Meg has baked lamingtons and I'm getting my hands on some....

Click image for larger version

Name:	3352_l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	9095288
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Today was a bad day for my diet. Not only didn't I take my morning jog but I also ate a donut at work and had thai food for dinner. On the upside the catfish larb was rather good.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        Today was a bad day for my diet.
        Improve it with this Majorcan recipe for Tumbet :

Make the most of summer’s aubergines, tomatoes and peppers with this Spanish vegetarian dish. Serve with crusty bread and green salad.

Ingredients
        350ml/12fl oz extra virgin olive oil

400g/14oz potatoes, thinly sliced

400g/14oz aubergines, sliced lengthways into 1cm/½in thick slices

400g/14oz green peppers, quartered, seeds removed

2 garlic cloves, sliced

500g/1lb 1oz tomatoes, peeled, roughly chopped

salt and freshly ground black pepper

200g/7oz manchego cheese, grated

Preparation method
        1.Heat some of the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the potato slices, in batches, for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

2.Add a little more oil and fry the peppers in the same pan for 5-10 minutes, or until softened. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

3.Add a little more oil and fry the aubergines in the same pan, in batches, for 4-5 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

4.Add the garlic and chopped tomatoes to the same pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

5.Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

6.Layer the aubergines, potatoes and peppers in a large casserole dish and then spoon over the tomato sauce. Sprinkle over the manchego cheese and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until bubbling and golden-brown.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
          Meg has baked lamingtons and I'm getting my hands on some....
          I've not had lamingtons in ages and forgot they even existed. You don't tend to see them around these parts. I will need to remedy this.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• I've just been reminded of hazelnut Tim Tams too now.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• I had pizza and red wine last night. Now my stomach hurts.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                I've not had lamingtons in ages and forgot they even existed. You don't tend to see them around these parts. I will need to remedy this.
                They were quite delicious. I'm paying her back with a recipe for chicken marinated in yoghurt and garnished with flower petals (she's a horticulturalist).

I've just been reminded of hazelnut Tim Tams too now.
                Meg and I had a good chat about spearmint spiders and jaffles too, and pumpkin scones no matter the weather, and Pollywaffles and Violet Crumble... I remembered how after the Tiffin Bar was discontinued in the U.K. you could still find it in army rations. Handy having a father in law who was in the army....

Comment

Working...
                X