Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinner talk. What did you have for dinner today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    Eggs are cheap. To this day you can buy, even in California, a dozen eggs for $0.85 if you buy them on sale. Sure, they'll be AA instead of the AAA (so they're not as large) but they'll work. The cheese would be harder as quality cheese costs money but even now 3lbs of good aged domestic cheddar (not great but not the cheapest either) is ~$13 at a store like Smart & Final and it might be cheaper at some other place. The cheap high water content cheddar, which isn't aged and which turns kind of soggy at room temperature, can be had for ~$8 for a 3lb block. Assuming a person bought it in bulk and portioned it up though you could still make the $1.25 mark pretty easy. Hell, they practically give away some food.

I've always thought bread was something worth paying more for and I've noticed Food 4 Less's double sized loaves of bread to be a pretty good bargain for two for $4 but if you don't mind low quality loaves that are full of air holes (and they call it "improved bread", HA!) than even I can find them for $0.79 even in high price California. Potatoes, they practically give away, cost $0.99 for 10 lbs while gold onions cost $0.99 for 5lbs. Rice is cheap ~$7.50 for a 20lb bag of the low quality stuff and ~$14 for the high quality stuff. Veggies cost more, much more, but if you buy what's on sale and in season then you'd be amazed how you can make a dollar stretch. Personally, I'm too lazy to bother getting the lowest prices now and these days I do most of my shopping at where it is convenient but back when I was unemployed and living on unemployment (back in 2004) I was able to make a dollar stretch nicely with coupons, watching sales, and simply shopping around. Now days people have phone apps which help you price match for lower prices, find coupons, and inform you about deals so it should be even easier even if stores have made their coupon policies less generous and if inflation has brought prices up a bit.
    Hell, with a smart phone app you can even scan in the items before you put them in the basket (using your smart phone) and then when you check out it automatically tells you all the price matches, the coupons, and special promotions right there so even without changing your buying habits I bet you could save 1/4 to 1/3 just doing that. Now, if you aggressively watch for deals then you could save even more.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      Looks interesting. Any spices used or just au naturale?
      Nigerians are big on spice usage... one recipe for moi moi uses Scotch Bonnet peppers, but you can use ordinary red chilli. Nutmeg, a litlle salt, black pepper...

Moin Moin, Moyin Moyin or Steamed Beans Pudding is a traditional beans recipe enjoyed by everybody. Learn how to prepare a very delicious one!
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
        if you don't mind eating a plant based diet, you can grow enough fruits, veggies, and legumes for yourself in 100 sq ft room... aside from initial set up costs, your recurring costs are minimal... blue and red LED lights

dutch researchers managed to cram enough into a 2400 ft space to supposedly feed 100,000+ people

science
        a) that needs a lot of fertilizer b) the Netherlands is the most fertile place in the entire world.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        Hell, with a smart phone app you can even scan in the items before you put them in the basket (using your smart phone) and then when you check out it automatically tells you all the price matches, the coupons, and special promotions right there so even without changing your buying habits I bet you could save 1/4 to 1/3 just doing that. Now, if you aggressively watch for deals then you could save even more.
        Think for a minute on what it means to spend nine bucks a week on food and own a smartphone.

Comment

• I had a can of chickpeas mixed with a can of pilchards for lunch today, for < £1.
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Think for a minute on what it means to spend nine bucks a week on food and own a smartphone.
            Good point.

I have neither a car or a smartphone, so I end up paying more for groceries. Overall I'm probably saving money though.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
              a) that needs a lot of fertilizer
              Not as much as you might think. For hydro, maybe. I tend to prefer indoor soil. Hydro doesn't leave much room for error.
              b) the Netherlands is the most fertile place in the entire world.

It doesn't matter. This is indoors. You could do this on the moon.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

Also, no. You'd need a ****ton of special fertilizer that would allow you to grow with hydroponics.
                Maybe defer to someone (like myself) who has a lot of experience doing such things?

Or not... I wouldn't want you to change on my account.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• For a set up, floor to ceiling, in a 10x10 ft room... depending on the nute balance... I would estimate such costs to be less than $50 a year.

And that's a one-time cost if you save your food waste and make your own compost.

So yeah. Retards. You guys are like a tag team of stupid lately... reg, HC
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Lately? They are stupidity incarnate.
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                      Lately? They are stupidity incarnate.
                      Well, individually they have always been stupid. But it seems they are chatting or something outside the forums... plotting their trolls.

"hey, now go say something stupid. watch how mad he gets LOLZ"

little do they know i'm always mad
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

For a set up, floor to ceiling, in a 10x10 ft room... depending on the nute balance... I would estimate such costs to be less than $50 a year.

And that's a one-time cost if you save your food waste and make your own compost.

So yeah. Retards. You guys are like a tag team of stupid lately... reg, HC
                        How do you cope with indoor moisture?
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                          How do you cope with indoor moisture?
                          Adequate ventilation. In-line fans are great and consume low power compared to other options. They also can be fitted with charcoal filters. When vented through the roof, you create negative pressure in the room. You could be right outside the door and smell nothing.

Also, it's important to have all sorts of sensors for such things... temp, humidity, co2, etc.

It's not necessary to have such things automated either beyond power timers (for the lights mainly... schedules vary based upon stage). Just tweak a few things and you can easily create desired conditions.

The entire installation need not consume more power than a PC with a 250W power supply.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Did those researchers also mention how many man hours it requires?
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Adequate ventilation. In-line fans are great and consume low power compared to other options. They also can be fitted with charcoal filters. When vented through the roof, you create negative pressure in the room. You could be right outside the door and smell nothing.

Also, it's important to have all sorts of sensors for such things... temp, humidity, co2, etc.

It's not necessary to have such things automated either beyond power timers (for the lights mainly... schedules vary based upon stage). Just tweak a few things and you can easily create desired conditions.

The entire installation need not consume more power than a PC with a 250W power supply.
                              ...how much pot did you say you harvest?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                                ...how much pot did you say you harvest?
                                I am merely speculating... about... food growth.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X