• Show
Clear All

• Remember the fall of The Alamo

March 6th 1836

To The People of Texas and
    All Americans In The World --
    February 24, 1836

Fellow citizens & compatriots --
    I am beseiged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna -- I have sustained a continual bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, & every thing dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country --

VICTORY OR DEATH

William Barret Travis
    Lt. Col. Comdt.

P.S. The Lord is on our side -- When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn -- We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves --

Travis
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Leave it to a bunch of Texans to have sentries asleep on the job, to not dig in when you know there's a siege coming, to fail to properly lay your artillery, to not have any actual artillerists so you could pre-sight and then fire at night at the sound of Mexican artillery being brought up, and then to not spike your guns when you abandon them.

When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Okay, I just skimmed Wiki to find out what that whole thing was about. Perhaps I misread, but it seems:

1. Mexico invited gringo settlers to come in and farm, under certain conditions, e.g. no slavery, and they would grow certain crops for Mexico.
      2. Gringo settlers ignored the rules because they wanted to use Mexican land to grow valuable cotton. Possibly with slaves, the records are unclear.
      3. Mexico got very cranky and cracked down on the blatantly illegal activity.
      4. Gringos got pissed and rebelled.
      5. Mexico butchered a group who took a stand with inadequate numbers at the Alamo.
      6. The Alamo got the settlers angry enough to rebel and actually win.

I'm not trying to troll here; that seems to be the shape of things. Is any part of that inaccurate? And if not, why on earth would you celebrate such a thing?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

they made a movie about it silly
        Last edited by Alexander's Horse; March 6, 2013, 18:09.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Winners write the history books?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Because "The alamo" is easier for Texicans to not mangle than "San Jacinto"

The other side is that if the Texicans were to make a big deal out of San Jacinto, they'd at some point have to acknowledge that their "great victory" was over an army that decided to take a ****ing afternoon nap, whihc is bad enough in the first place, but also without putting out any sentries or pickets. Not quite so glorious a victory then.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
              because they made a movie about it silly
              Couldn't they celebrate The Magnificent Seven instead?
              1011 1100

Comment

Elok, it's Texans. They think the idea of dying gloriously in battle is a _good_ thing. Just pretend they're America's versions of Vikings if it makes it easier on yourself.

Comment

We troll Sloww about this every year. This year he decided to troll himself.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Tennessee will never forget.

RIP those who rebelled against a dictator and sought to build a nation.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      Elok, it's Texans. They think the idea of dying gloriously in battle is a _good_ thing. Just pretend they're America's versions of Vikings if it makes it easier on yourself.
                      Yeah, but don't Texans generally dislike unruly immigrants who flood the place and then refuse to obey the law?

I mean, if all the Mexicans in Texas started sacrificing people to Santa Muerte then drove out the National Guard when they cracked down, would Sloww approve?
                      1011 1100

Comment

You dislike people who are really similar to yourself but dissimilar in one key way. Make sense?

Also, perhaps the Texans are concerned the Mexicans are out to get their land back...

Comment

They ought to be more concerned about how much the rest of us want them to take Texas back.

Comment

The settlers were only "invited" to serve as a buffer between Mexico and the Comanche. It's not, never was and will never be "their land".
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Really? Ever been to Six Flags?

Comment

Working...
                              X