Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to like Abba? What about KiSS? Flares? Legwarmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since Abba is mostly just emotionally ineffectual but technically well-produced pop music, "not hating" is a reasonable stance.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm indifferent. If I was over-exposed to it, I might hate it.

I generally don't think it's wrong to like certain kinds of music... even Justin Bieber and that sort of stuff.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
        Is there even such a thing as a Swedish accent? I've never been able to hear any accent while listening to either ABBA or The Hives.
        probably because you have an accent
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
          Since Abba is mostly just emotionally ineffectual but technically well-produced pop music, "not hating" is a reasonable stance.
          You have to understand, this was the era of Qualudes, a quaint little chemical that left the consumers with the emotional responsiveness of potatos. Considering that they were masters of true emotionality.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I'm told they also gave the user a kind of warm and fuzzy feeling, which explains A LOT about the seventies and its music...
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Yes, ABBA was sort of like sonic Qualudes.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I basically only listen to dad music...a few modern bands but not many.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

When are you going to get out from under the skirts and live your life?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

bah, I heard a very funny comedy routine about Dads - basically for most of us our dress sense, music, hairstyle is set in concrete on the day we get married and stays that way until we die.

There is some truth in that.

Comment

Fight the truth (given to you by someone other than yourself)!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

You must be retro yourself by now

Comment

Warren Zevon. Great guy. He could be entertaining just doing nothing. Lawyers guns and money, now that's art. 'My Ride's Here', what a great way tp put it.

ABBA is okay but I really gotta be in the mood for a Swedish disco band. Last time that happened was in the mid 70s.
                          Last edited by Lancer; March 2, 2013, 07:56.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                            Yes, ABBA was sort of like sonic Qualudes.
                            It really used to work that way with me. I'd listen to ABBA, and my mind would be completely blank within a couple of minutes.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I wasn't into downers, so that probably explains why I never "got" the Abba thing.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                                Is there even such a thing as a Swedish accent?
                                Yes. For people who are native English speakers, it's quite apparent that although ABBA could sing in English, they sang in a variety not spoken on these shores. It's not stilted but it isn't the English of these isles. The Swedish accent was even more apparent on the director's commentary tracks on 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' and 'Let The Right One In' .

I rather like it. The Norwegians apparently think of the British/English as being like Norwegians, just mad.

Oh, and I think ABBA had some great songs. Flares are an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord, as are mullets, stonewashed jeans and those revolting things worn on the heads of people who should know better:

Click image for larger version

Name:	31owEUjEYtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	9094785

Kiss I have tried to expunge from my mind, like Styx and Kansas and Sad Cafe. Legwarmers- mmmm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fame.png
Views:	1
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	9094786

Out of my sight! thou dost infect my eyes.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X