Meteorite falls in Russia's Chelyabinsk region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
    So you say that everybody has the exact same set of morals?
    Most people are just trying to fit in. We all have a need for relationships with others. I'm saying that it appears that there is a human morality that has been shaped by evolutionary forces. I'm not sure that we evolved from other species or even if this is true, but it appears that way. Of course there are individuals who seem to choose their own morals. Those are the existentialists. I think I'm one of them. I don't know why it is that way, but for me God has something to do with that. I think it's supernatural.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Aren't existentialists atheists?
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	alien.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	9094689
        Jesus was an alien. As were many of the early Church 'fathers'.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
          Aren't existentialists atheists?
          Some insist so. Those are mostly influenced by Sartre that I know of. I don't really care for Sartre's beliefs on morality. But there are others who believe in Sartre's existentialism who say that a christian can be an existentialist. It depends on who you ask. Sartre said that the existentialist does whatever he wants and may say one thing and do another, but what he does is what he truly believes. In that sense there are a lot of existential thinkers. But that's not really what I call existential thinking. To me it comes down to deciding what is right and wrong, not based on the beliefs of anyone else, and being commited to it. In that sense, being a true christian is existentialist.
          Last edited by Kidlicious; February 17, 2013, 00:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            This is the last time I'm going to say it, and if some of you idiots can't comprehend, then it's your fault.

PERSONALLY, I think UFOs may exist. What I thought stupid was jumping to the immediate conclusion that they were being attacked by rock throwing UFOs.
            Rock throwing UFOs? You see a glowing something cross the sky, leaving a huge contrail, then there is an explosion so loud your windows are blown into your house. What do you think?
            1. A plane crash? No, why would it glow?
            2. World War 3? No, doesn't look like a nuke.
            3. Meteorite? Yes, if you're smart and didn't imagine it as just a rock falling from the sky (nudge-nudge).
            4. Space invaders dropping space bombs? Run for your lives!

Come on, Sloww, what would YOU have thought?
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Meteorites can look pretty strange. I saw one once and it didn't really look like what I thought one would look like. It moved slower than I thought a meteorite should. So I could actually see how some people would think UFOs had something to do with it.

Comment

• That it was a meteor. No one is going to be able to reach Texas, on this world; and I don't think UFO would have even been on my radar at all.
                From Russia's perspective, who? Certainly not the USA. Iran? Who? Certainly not a UFO.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• If I weren't physics-inclined, I might think other things, such as 'airplane crashing'. And in Siberia, weapons testing is never out of the question...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• If I may put things in perspective, a gigantic rock just fell out of the sky at tremendous speed, striking the earth with enough force to injure hundreds or thousands with the force of its impact. This has happened exactly zero times in the past 50 years, AFAIK. Yet for some (doubtless very sensible) reason, y'all have used this subject as a springboard for a tired and idiotic argument we have about twice a week around here, essentially ignoring the event itself.

...why?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      If I may put things in perspective, a gigantic rock just fell out of the sky at tremendous speed, striking the earth with enough force to injure hundreds or thousands with the force of its impact. This has happened exactly zero times in the past 50 years, AFAIK. Yet for some (doubtless very sensible) reason, y'all have used this subject as a springboard for a tired and idiotic argument we have about twice a week around here, essentially ignoring the event itself.

...why?
                      Thousands, Elok, no need to get hyperbolic.
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                        So now killing 6 million people is the moral equivalent of making fun of young earth creationists?
                        Don't forget the Roman Catholic Church's role in enabling the rise to power of Hitler through the Reichstag. Sister Wendy Martyrpants is just working through some repressed guilt issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	350px-churchandstate1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	9094691

Just doing our duty.... praise be.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          Thousands, Elok, no need to get hyperbolic.
                          Elok decided this time he's going to be self-righteous and claim to be above all this. Then in the next thread, he'll instigate such discussions.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Did you hear about the giant rock that hit the earth? Yeah that thing was big! Or do you think God or aliens had anything to do with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              Did you hear about the giant rock that hit the earth? Yeah that thing was big! Or do you think God or aliens had anything to do with it.
                              I respect your right to believe God did it. Thinking it was aliens is just stupid.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                                But that's not really what I call existential thinking. To me it comes down to deciding what is right and wrong, not based on the beliefs of anyone else, and being commited to it. In that sense, being a true christian is existentialist.
                                If you're not basing your right/wrong decisions on a guy called Jesus, then how are you a true christian?

Comment

Working...
                                X