food names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotted dick.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      Blood pudding and filet of pancreas...
      I think black pudding is quite honest about what it is- meat with blood, cooked.

Do you like your steak rare ? Or steak tartare ?

As for sweetbreads, they're simply delicious, mild and toothsome. I like kidneys, grilled, devilled or in steak and kidney pudding. I like liver too, and have very fond memories of an early breakfast in the Blue Mountains in a Croat run cafe. Big, big serving of lamb's fry, really hit the spot.

I'd rather eat that than McDonalds or KFC.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Rare meat is rare meat, it's got almost no blood in it.

Grilled kidneys are amazing They're a staple here in barbecues.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I really like liver, too. A local bar does a really nice sauteed chicken livers, I used to order when others were having their nachos and wings.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
            Rare meat is rare meat, it's got almost no blood in it.
            Sorry, what I meant is that certain cultures don't like the thought of meat being served rare- none of the Muslims I know enjoy the idea, let alone the taste or texture of rare meat. I like carpaccio and steak tartare. I had carpaccio of emu and carpaccio of kangaroo- very tasty.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
              Szechuan style, oddly enough. I love chicken's feet, steamed with black bean sauce. And ducks' webs, stuffed and steamed.
              No, I don't think it was Sichuan Jellyfish, I think it was just the dried stuff that was re-liquified and served cold and raw.

I've tried quite a few feet in China, chicken and pork for sure, but did not care for them since it seemed to be a lot of work for a little taste.

But I do love real Sichuan foods, loaded with the numbing Sichuan peppers and regular chili peppers.

The Chinese guys seem to enjoy pushing my gross out envelope, but I found that they get grossed out by rare meats.
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
                I've tried quite a few feet in China, chicken and pork for sure, but did not care for them since it seemed to be a lot of work for a little taste.

When I was in Melbourne and made friends with the Chinese family who ran the local newsagents, I found out that the father and I had something in common- we both used to burn the bristles off pigs' heads, feet and tails for our grandmothers. I introduced them to flavoured Australian tea (Australia has some herb/spice flavourings that you don't find anywhere else) and they introduced me to Chinese cooking home style, which uses a lot less oil than restaurant cooking as far as I can tell.

A friend from Singapore was telling me about what his maid told him her village used to eat. I didn't realize that water scorpions were edible, and neither did he. He gets disgusted by the notion of drinking a glass of cow's milk- he can handle a yoghurt or ice cream, but not a whole glass of cow's milk.

I do very much like Szechuan cuisine but Cantonese is still my favourite... Hainanese rice brings back fond memories too.

Comment

Restaurant food everywhere is typically not very healthy. Deep-fried, lots of oil, no problem.

The thing is, that restaurant food is supposed to be a treat, if it was like home cooking, you'd likely not want to go.

So they make it extra sinful.

Most of the Chinese that I know eat a simple diet at home.

I will say that most restaurants in China, even if they are themed as some other style, still have quite a few if not most of their dishes in Cantonese style.

My personal favorite is the steamed scallops with chopped garlic (lots) on a small bed of glass noodles.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Artichoke sounds like an accident waiting to happen
                    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

The name isn't disgusting, the actual thing is. Sea cucumber. uke: I'd honestly rather starve.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                        The name isn't disgusting, the actual thing is. Sea cucumber. uke: I'd honestly rather starve.
                        When I lived across the street from the beach in Isla Vista we'd go down to the tide pools at low tide and mess with the sea cucumbers. If you agitate them enough they spew out a bunch of nasty stringy crap.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah, echinoderms as a rule can stay on something else's menu, not mine.

Urchin are nice for attracting fish if you're diving (especially if spearfishing) in the kelp forests. Just pick one up and fish are all over you from nowhere.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                            Soda bread, soda farls, potato cakes, black pudding, white pudding, grilled sweetbreads and colcannon. Not all at once, obviously.
                            no
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              When I lived across the street from the beach in Isla Vista we'd go down to the tide pools at low tide and mess with the sea cucumbers. If you agitate them enough they spew out a bunch of nasty stringy crap.
                              ...so you're saying you rubbed something cucumber like until it shot its load?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                                Sea cucumber. uke:
                                The one I was up close and personal with in the sea was long, brown and covered in slime. Even now an awful lot of preparation and rejigging would be necessary before I could view it as a delicacy.

But then again, I love oysters and snails, cockles, winkles, mussels, sea urchins...

Comment

Working...
                                X